my view..........

Logrover

you dont need a yard mate, you dont need money to make money what you need is the belief in yourself that you can do it, the reasons you gave in your first post are excuses i will be blunt now coz i deleted my first 2 posts as i didnt want to be harsh and i dont know you from Adam and its not my place to judge you, or lecture you, i want to help you.:thumbup1:

A poor teacher tells someone what to do, a great teacher shows you what to do but an exceptional teacher Inspires you to want to do it.

When i lived in my little tin shack out in a field i couldnt afford the heating so to stay warm, so i would split logs outside with a spotlight on,(i didnt have a fire) then i would sell the logs on my way to and from my work, paying for my fuel. Then when i sold a few more logs i bought a saw and ended up cutting up trees for farmers in return for yard space and use of a tractor and trailer. Then the farmer would let me climb and cut his trees around his fields and i would sell the logs and get good practice, then when i got better i bought a log burner and burnt coal and watched my big new telly in the heat as i didnt need to split logs anymore becasue i made plenty working for myself doing tree work.

Now i have a log fire just for effect and i dont live in a shack anymore.:thumbup:

Great post Steve very wise words but does remind me a bit of these guys

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo]YouTube - Monty Python - Four Yorkshiremen[/ame]

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hello again guys.........you are all right of course, i really wanna get this up and running and so i have to start asking and proding people!!! sometimes form replies its too easy to go on the offfensive instead of advice!! i have been in tree work since i was at upper school and im now 28 so i know the business fairly wel now but i still think we all need encouragement sometimes so thanks guys il pull my finger out and take all the good advice!!:001_tt2::001_tt2::thumbup1:

I rent a part of a yard on a local farm. The farmer has sold most of his land and rents out all his shed/barns etc. He was delighted when I turned up as not many people want to rent a bit of "waste land". The best thing is we have become good friends and I do some work for him and supply him with logs in return for rent (well for the first two years any way which has saved me £1k/year)

If you can speak to farmers arm yourself with facts, exactly how much space your after, how much wood you'll be shifting, how many hrs a day you'll be there that sort of stuff. If you come across like a professional sounding chap your more likely to get on. NO farmer wants to be associated with a cowboy log trader trust me!! Don't take the piss by being there 18hr days 7 days a week, traditionally a farm yard should be like a ghost town on a sunday!!

Other thing is farmers like cash as they very rarely see any from sales of their crops etc, I have a yard of my own and work out of another one and the cash agreement there works very well for both parties. Simple system, I have use of his tractor, some concrete space and access to fallen timber and in return he gets £20 cash for every load I take out of his yard. Simple.