Can't get insurance for a 130 Tipper!

Alban

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi there you say the veh docs says it's a 1984 110 v8 converted from new to a 130 by spe veh that dont sound right why would l/r convert a 110 to a 130in 1984 there was no such veh as a 130 it was a 127. and if seb wanted a larger veh surly they would of asked for a 127 chassis in the first place .

if land rover converted the veh as a factory veh it would of left the factory as a 127 and not a 110 as you say thats what is on the docs ? if this is the information the insurenc companys are working on then you may have the reason the would not tuoch a veh that does not tally up . do you know the history to be correct

a 127 is the same chassis as a 130 it just sounded better when the defender range came out so i presume as only the chassis was changed it should still be classed as a 127 ?

Thanks for the replies, I'm building up a new list of insurers to try tomorrow including a couple I found in a landy magazine.

So far Adrian Flux are the only ones to give me a quote and that is for it's present set up which is a dropside. On telling them that as soon as I buy it, it will be converted to a tipper they say they can't insure it.

After several calls to Trust they are still working on it, but I'm not too hopeful.:thumbdown:

Hi there you say the veh docs says it's a 1984 110 v8 converted from new to a 130 by spe veh that dont sound right why would l/r convert a 110 to a 130in 1984 there was no such veh as a 130 it was a 127. and if seb wanted a larger veh surly they would of asked for a 127 chassis in the first place .

if land rover converted the veh as a factory veh it would of left the factory as a 127 and not a 110 as you say thats what is on the docs ? if this is the information the insurenc companys are working on then you may have the reason the would not tuoch a veh that does not tally up . do you know the history to be correct

a 127 is the same chassis as a 130 it just sounded better when the defender range came out so i presume as only the chassis was changed it should still be classed as a 127 ?

Sorry I should have said 127, which is what it was converted to and which it still is with the new galvi chassis. As far as I know Land Rover only started making the 127 Chassis from 1986. Any longer vehicles had to be made up out of factory up until 1986.

The current owner has been very helpful and supplied me all the docs he has on it. There is even a letter from the DVLA confirming that there is no need to change the details on the V5.

The reasons I have been declined quotes have been for reasons other than this. It's been really frustrating as there is no single issue that keeps popping up.

Reasons vary widely: won't do 4x4 tippers, 4x4 commercial policies, age, non-landy engine, winch.

Probably the most common response is actually: "we can't insure a Land Rover with a Tipper body":confused1:

Trust or norwich union will both insure it. Just ring up to insure a 130 tipper. Thats al they need to know. That is what the vehicle now is, legitimately according to the paperwork, so no worries. As long as you dont lie to them you are fine.

I'm not sure of the dates, but I believe that the very early 127's were in fact built on stretched 110 chassis which were taken off the line and cut and stretched in 'Special Vehicles'. As such they are modified 110's rather than genuine unmodified 127's (if this makes sense)!

It doesn't mean that they are not "genuine", and I would have expected the V5 to indicate that they were 127's since they would have been modified before being registered (they wouldn't have taken a finished 110 to strip and modify).

Once the 127 had proved to be popular and successful, purpose-built chassis were introduced and the cut and stretch mod became unnecessary.

Yes Treewolf, you are correct. Land Rover only made the 90 and 110 and to make a 127 they took a 110 chassis, cut it in half, added longer chassis rails in and welded it back together. Hence the V5 would say 110 and they probably would not bother to change it.

Good luck with the insurance, I just moved mine away from Adrian Flux as they increased the premium 20% on last year despite the fact I had made no claims.:thumbup:

Glad you eventually got sorted Alban. I was going to suggest you contact the Land Rover Special Vehicles and Defender 130 Club for advice but you could still join them now you are an owner.

http://www.landrover130andspecialvehiclesclub.co.uk/ is the website apparantly but I was unable to connect and the telephone number is/was 01728 648513.

Any chance of putting some pics up?:001_cool: