clearing saw???

I have an FS420 (the older version of the FS550) paid £38 of ebay, spent £70 getting the gear box repaired and its an absolute animal of a machine, empties a tank in about 25mins, by which time you need a break from it anyway, but i wouldnt change it for scrub clearance, awesome tool

husky 245 0r 250, great tools, although my 240 goes through anything that you put in front of it,runs for about an hour and 15 minites flat out with the lines on in heavy stuff so might be worth a look

all the stihl clearing saw iv had love the fuel but i would rather have somthing that works really well.

i have had nothing to do with husq clearning saws but just spoke to a mate that has one and he said he would not change it for a stihl but whats he no lol i would not change me fs480 for anything .

i dont really think u can go wrong with any of the big saws mate i think is all about personal preference and where ur closest dealer is or u can get the best deal

pm justin (jonies) see what he think what he sells the most of see what kind off a price they are

go for a stihl mate :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I have the 345fx short shafted clearing saw. Fantastic bit of kit a little under powered for knocking over 6" timber but keep it sharp and and anything below that it goes through nicely. Put the brushknife on it and it mulches up things nicely.

Haven't got a chance to use it as a clearing saw recently but i shocked people with the size of wood i'd tackel with it. I too live clearing saws i have the NPTC in it (really hard to find a course on it) also did the LANTRA one who have 2 one for stuff below 2" and one for above 2"

fs400's are good, but wont last more than a couple of years with a nylon line.

id go bigger for a blade, such as a 480 or a 500.

get one with power, itl last donkeys years, dont put the biggest head you can find on it, same goes for chainsaws get a shorter bar and bigger powerhead.

I brought my first brushcutter a while ago, after trying every one I could get my hands on to find my favourite! While I have used the FS450, I ended up buying a Kawasaki KBH43A, they also do a 48cc version if you really need more power. I much prefer Kawasaki to Stihl, it has a larger fuel tank so less time spent filling up! Also a longer shaft than the Stihl, as I am a taller chap this is nice also, and it just feels more aggressive!

cheers,

Joe

I have a stihl 480, and its excellent. It and the 550 are the only true clearing saws stihl make, the others are brushcutters to be pedantic. I cant comment on the husky, and the echos have a great rep. John (TCD) has 2 (as he mentioned) and they are very impressive.

I've just got a new Husqvarna 343r and am well happy with it. Seems to be the standard issue, do it all, medium size machine up here at the moment.

Although not a dedicated clearing saw i've been bashing whins and clearing small trees with it for the last couple of weeks and it's been great - not as thirsty as I thought it would be either.

Next size up is Husky 345fx or Stihl fs450 (both +0.2hp bigger)

All depends how big you need to go really.