Controlled free-fall (vertical speed line)

RC0

Stood at about 50ft and totally shot at tension side of the butt, we weren’t so much worried about the ground impact of the falling logs....more them flying into the fencing there after. Plus the tree was a leaner so I didn’t fancy trying to wrestle back the logs up top while further hoping they’d stay put upon landing.

The lowering device was in place to make it easy to tie/tension and untie the rigging line....although I would have much preferred a redirect but there was nothing near to otherwise anchor the lowering device to.

The Stein 2000 LD is built tough, but I was still a little concerned about its attachment-sling getting wacked by a log; thankfully we got away with it this time.

I used two tennex slings to tie off each log which were linked to the rigging line by a D-shackle.

The orange ratchet strap set at the base of the tree was to stop the shackle hitting the Lowering device.

The last 15 ft was absolutely riddled with metal, the worst I’ve ever had to deal with.

Just a short vid this one. Thanks

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aojgo83VXrA]YouTube - Controlled free-fall (Vertical speed line)[/ame]

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we live on the coast mate, i am either at the top of a hill or on it:biggrin:i have 1 long leg and 1 short leg mate:laugh1:

Great vid,and well presented,thanks!:thumbup1:

Oh ,& Stevie,thats a load of codswallop about how you got one leg longer than the other.................It's flat as a road rabitt round here.........& I suffer the same afliction!!!:laugh1:

Really well controlled violence there Reg.

Looked like it went smooth, but how did the BD's teeth fair on what looked like heart (brown rot) decay further up the stick?

It sunk on the three times that I used it, so had to be pulled out and re-positioned. I even struggled to open the gap wide enough with the lever because all the bark and cambium area was just breaking up. Ah well!