My next log tipper truck hilux

gensetsteve

• 11 months later...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, having always had Landys I am getting fed up with the constant maintenance and general unreliability. I like the towing and off road ability of the Defender but after looking at a lot of threads on here my mind is nearly made up to get new or nearly new Hilux, I want a vehicle that will last me a long long time. What I am not sure of is whether to convert it to a tipper, get a pro tipper (removeable) or a load handler. Or do I keep the Hilux sparkly clean and get a cheap tipper truck for chipping into and delivering logs?

I really like the idea of having a tipping extra cab Hilux but not sure if its economical or sensible. For the 3-4k it would cost to convert I could get another tipper truck.

Any thoughts much appreciated before I blow my daughter's inheritance!

Well, having always had Landys I am getting fed up with the constant maintenance and general unreliability. I like the towing and off road ability of the Defender but after looking at a lot of threads on here my mind is nearly made up to get new or nearly new Hilux, I want a vehicle that will last me a long long time. What I am not sure of is whether to convert it to a tipper, get a pro tipper (removeable) or a load handler. Or do I keep the Hilux sparkly clean and get a cheap tipper truck for chipping into and delivering logs?

I really like the idea of having a tipping extra cab Hilux but not sure if its economical or sensible. For the 3-4k it would cost to convert I could get another tipper truck.

Any thoughts much appreciated before I blow my daughter's inheritance!

I think my next tipper will be an extra cab as it has the best payload of the lot. If I was in your position I would not be afraid to spend 3k and fit the body to a 10year old hilux . I think the early d4d engine stuff was still well built not so sure of the later stuff. Hilux are a totally different experience to the defender. After 5 years the body can be moved to the next truck.

Yeah, I was wondering about an older Hilux. It just seems that a decent one is pretty hard to come by. Do you not rate the new HL2 very highly then? Cheers

I have no working experience of the new ones although if I was set on a new pickup it would defo be the HL2. But I seem to hear alot of moans about new pickups with electronic problems and engines blowing. I like our mk4 as we have run it hard for 2 years and changed the oil and replaced the rear brake shoes. They are capable of 300k and you can pick one up with 120k for less than 3 grand. The new pick ups have huge fronts on them for crumple zones. Our mk 4 has a steel bumper and cheap glass head lights and short nose which is ideal for squeezing log deliveries up icy drive ways. Why spend 15k when 3k buys a better more reliable cheap to repair vehicle.

We're running a Landy 110. Ideal, tough as a big bag of tough things. The present one is a 09 plate Puma, the third landy I've had. Can't rate em highly enough

Nothing wrong with defender. If you need a truck to tackle uneven terrain when loaded its ideal, if you dont do many long runs or motorway work. If you think you will often overload dont buy a Hilux you will snap the chassis. If I was looking at year 2000 vehicles I would not want a defender, after 12 years they will be hanging doors wont shut and heater packed up seats uncomfortable. I would imagine defenders less than 8 years old are a very good vehicle just a bit big to get up driveways to tip logs.

Bloody hell , i'm pleased I've got contacts, you chaps pay fortunes for truck bodies compared to what I can get them for............3k for a little tipper on a Hilux. I can get the best for 2k don't you guys shop around?

Edited by Lee Winger

Nothing wrong with defender. If you need a truck to tackle uneven terrain when loaded its ideal, if you dont do many long runs or motorway work. If you think you will often overload dont buy a Hilux you will snap the chassis. If I was looking at year 2000 vehicles I would not want a defender, after 12 years they will be hanging doors wont shut and heater packed up seats uncomfortable. I would imagine defenders less than 8 years old are a very good vehicle just a bit big to get up driveways to tip logs.

New Defender 110 is really maneuvorable...I got mine up a tight drive to clear a load of windblow oak...The Puma's a huge improvement on the old TD5's..very useable truck, but you are right, I wouldn't want to do motorway runs, but for me when I need to get up forestry sites, its ideal. Carries a huge load too.

Bloody hell , i'm pleased I've got contacts, you chaps pay fortunes for truck bodies compared to what I can get them for............3k for a little tipper on a Hilux. I can get the best for 2k don't you guys shop around?

I think it started at 2k then new lights were added and higher sides in anodised and a divider. total £2400 + vat . I had 5 quotes a couple were cheaper up north but a bit of travelling. Also there are tippers and there are tippers. Yes having served an apprenticeship with a vehicle body builders I still have contacts but if I build another will give you a shout first.