how much work do you win

24hr cutter

I had a good run for first year of trading then started doubting myslef when i didn't get every job as i never made a big thing about pricing to under cut but talking to others i was very lucky but still felt annoyed that i put so much effort in and then lost it, but that is life.

Usually when people start out in business they have no existing customers and need experience. The tendency is therefore to price low which leads to a high pick-up rate.

After a while you then realise that costs/overheads are higher than you thought, and given that Mrs Miggins and all her friends always accept your quotes, you start to price higher. This will eventually lead to a drop in pick-up rate BUT as you get known the number of enquiries increases so you are still busy but earning more per day.

There are many threads on here about what to charge - we all need to pay the bills but pricing is a delicate area. If the enquiry is via a recommendation as long as you are sensible you should get it. I've found that yellow pages enquiries are almost totally price dependent - you can improve your chances by turning up exactly on time to quote, not calling them 'mate' and being nice and knowledgable.

I'd say I get 95% of recommendation quotes and about 30% from YP etc.

Probably 90% from parish mag.

Good luck - know where your success comes from.

some one oonce told me that ss a rule of thumb - from 5 quotes if you get four or five your too cheep, if you get 2 or less your too expensive.

So does that mean its the recession or I'm to expensive? as I've been flat out since January but have now only had 1 price accepted out of the last 5 :001_huh::001_rolleyes::001_cool:

Just calculated i win work to 34% in value of all the works i price. how does that stand with everyone else. looking to increase my workload so this is a accurate record from the last 12 months. i never do follow up calls should i start ???.

If your getting 75% of your quoted work your on the right road. 2 reasons why you wont get the other 25% 1. you are dearer than they expected . 2. they dont like you, if someone turned up at your door looking like worzel gummidge would you want them on your property? What would the neighbours think? etc Dont forget when you quote for work , you wont be the only one looking at the same work, they maybe well dressed in a decent car and look very professional , you have to be the same. GOOD LUCK ENGLAND FOR SUNDAY!!!!!

I dont mind abit of quoting. Its a good feeling when you have a real productive day pricing up and pulling in some work you look forward to.

Only thing i dont like is turning up to a real nasty job, lots of ivy and crazy ideas of what soemone wants you to do to a tree. But they are generally outweighed by the better so it just part of the game really.