3. Aircraft flight deck officers

4. Railway lengthmen

5. Scaffolders

6. Roofers and glaziers

7. Forestry workers

8. Quarry and other mine workers

9. Dockers and stevedores

10. Lorry drivers

There are obvious risks to all the above.

The principle of risk assesment is to manage that risk but what 1,3,7and 4 have in common is the un forseeable, can't do a bloody thing about it, o God I,m a gonner times when chance throws up un quantifiable curveballer like weather conditions at sea or branch failure in an apparently healthy tree. One that looks like a great rigging point!

Those risks the Hse can't get there head around.

It's a natural environment and it is unpredictable at times.

Inexperience or even tiredness just add to the mix.

New people to the industry should never be rushed by there employers because they need to find out instinctivley what you can't learn at collage.

Old boys can come acropper too by the unforseeable.

It seems to me that reading through some of the comments as i browse through different threads on here to see people making comments that appear to set themselves and this trade on a pedestal.

Ive been in this industry probably longer than most on this forum --- before a lot of them were born. Ive seen some of the pics of work done , and read comments about other peoples work some good -some bad when the truth is the people that made the comments wouldnt know a good job if it hit them in the face. Ive also met a massive cross section of people working in the trade.What you will find as you go down the years is that the best preventative of accidents is experience not bits of paper--Im still learning after 35 year s it could be said that there are numpties in every walk of life-- we appear to have a few running this country at the moment,

This is not a personal attack on any one person on this forum but , more a way of saying that sometimes we should step back and look at ourselves both as individuals and an industry and perhaps not appear to be too judgemental of others cos some of the people that choose to read this forum could potentially HAVE been your very next customer

:congrats::congrats:

according to the bbc

1. Fishermen

2. Merchant seafarers

3. Aircraft flight deck officers

4. Railway lengthmen

5. Scaffolders

6. Roofers and glaziers

7. Forestry workers

8. Quarry and other mine workers

9. Dockers and stevedores

10. Lorry drivers

According to that then Arb work has a good enough safety record not to be in the top ten :icon14:

What you will find as you go down the years is that the best preventative of accidents is experience not bits of paper--Im still learning after 35 year s it could be said that there are numpties in every walk of life-- we appear to have a few running this country at the moment,

Totally agree, think some of the problem is when people think they know it all and have no more to learn - my boss for one.

It seems to me that reading through some of the comments as i browse through different threads on here to see people making comments that appear to set themselves and this trade on a pedestal.

Ive been in this industry probably longer than most on this forum --- before a lot of them were born. Ive seen some of the pics of work done , and read comments about other peoples work some good -some bad when the truth is the people that made the comments wouldnt know a good job if it hit them in the face. Ive also met a massive cross section of people working in the trade.What you will find as you go down the years is that the best preventative of accidents is experience not bits of paper--Im still learning after 35 year s it could be said that there are numpties in every walk of life-- we appear to have a few running this country at the moment,

This is not a personal attack on any one person on this forum but , more a way of saying that sometimes we should step back and look at ourselves both as individuals and an industry and perhaps not appear to be too judgemental of others cos some of the people that choose to read this forum could potentially HAVE been your very next customer

:icon14:

For me the scariest part of my day is driving to work, I put my life in the hands of other stupid motorists everyday.

At least in treework its my life in my own hands (most of the time) I know there are risks of serious injury in my job, and I accept them and believe its possible to do this job safely and have a long productive career.

And I don't want any H & S body to think that I can't and that this job is to dangerous for me to do.

I think it is easy to confuse something that is scary with something that is dangerous,dangling from a 3 ton rope 80 feet up may be scary,but ,IMO, it is not dangerous.And vice versa,IE, doing 80 mph on the motorway surrounded by other cars may not be scary,but is ,IMO, is dangerous.

Obviously when you start to add a chainsaw to the situation there is clearly some real danger and the potential for serious injury.

IMO you need to be careful you do not allow the natural fear that we all have, to make our work more dangerous,if you don't go high enough or out far enough (out of fear) and cut of large pieces this is far more dangerous than going higher or further out and cutting smaller pieces.

I'm not a fan of the "my job so dangerous and I am so macho cause I can do it "attitude I think it encourages the wrong kind of people in to the industry and causes accidents.

This is only my personal opinion take it or leave it :wave: