making up a lanyard

ecolojim

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steel lanyards can get a bit annoying at times, plus it's heavier. Also, youCAN cut through them and you can't use them on your front front attachement point

why cant you use them on front attachment point

They coil up nice and neat at the side

Yes you can cut through them but with a small saw i can cut your rope in 0.01 secs approx 2 mins with chainsaw admitedly an 088 will cut faster but believe me you will know you have cut your metal strop by the sparks flying.

I bet you know if youve hit a nail

i can cut your rope with an inch of your silky blade when its tensioned

try putting a bit of old rope in your system and hanging from it a couple of inches from the floor and see how easy a tensioned rope cuts

Steel lanyards can get a bit annoying at times, plus it's heavier. Also, youCAN cut through them and you can't use them on your front front attachement point

Yep you can cut through them, but you've got to try!. I've just replaced mine cos I had a lapse on an Ivy covered stem and clipped my steel strop with a 200T. If it had been a rope lanyard I'd have had a short drop and a nasty shock, as it was I had a blunt saw, a big bill and gave myself a right talking to!.

I've been told that the front attachment point is THE place to have the strop, if there is any chance of a rip or split. Put them on the side D's and it does rip, it could flatten your harness (like a sling under load) with consequences for your pelvis!

Yep you can cut through them, but you've got to try!. I've just replaced mine cos I had a lapse on an Ivy covered stem and clipped my steel strop with a 200T. If it had been a rope lanyard I'd have had a short drop and a nasty shock, as it was I had a blunt saw, a big bill and gave myself a right talking to!.

I've been told that the front attachment point is THE place to have the strop, if there is any chance of a rip or split. Put them on the side D's and it does rip, it could flatten your harness (like a sling under load) with consequences for your pelvis!

thats why you use a wire core!!!!!!!!!

i think rope strops are useless!!! you can flip them and i enjoy the rigidity

Each has i's merrits. I dislike wirecore flip lines, so I only use them on dismantles. My rope lanyard is long enough to be used as a 2nd short rope, invaluable imho

dont get me wrong, i have 2 rope strops and use them occasionally....... just prefer the wire core

I climb with a 42m line a short 8m line and a 3m steel core.

If i'm spiking up a long way i prefer steel, it just flips nicer, it a good weight to swing around.

You can use a wire core on your centre D, you undo a craba nd switch it, its not rocket science. as for working with your flipline on your centre only if you are taking something under a lot of tension, otherwise get it back on teh sides and horse on.

Jim, I'd be careful filling your head with to much stuff to early. My advice is get safe, get good, get fast. Along the way start adding bits and bobs to your set up and tweaking it when you have had time to really examine and discover the short comings of your system.

My boss still climbs with a harness, 4 crabs a steel core, 3 3 strand prussic loops and a 30m mulitplait rope. you don't need ropeguides, fancy grabs and pullys everywhere to climb.

A good climber will shine with the most basic kit and the oldest knots where as a bad climber will still be bad with the latest whodgywotsits (eh Butch, no dig intended).

I only started using 16 strand ropes and buying rope grabs, etc as i became more competant.

But if you'd like a ropeguide :proud:.....

Jamie

i might not be giving the right impression but i really am trying to keep it nice and simple. I like to climb on my split tail system with a blakes. I find it does what I need it do well. I have a pulley already that i would like to use in conjuction with a lanyard just to give me the one handed adjustment like i have with my grillon. I find that aspect very convenient. Im not so taken with a lot of the hardware I see, and so would prefer a prussik setup because then I have it both ways.

my cs38 course calls for 2 strops/lanyards and since i already have a 3m, a second in 5m is going to be the versatile choice?? hence this topic.

I think what i'll do, is a length of static rope, a prusik and my pulley, two biners, a double fishermans and a fig8. should serve me suitably well? When im experienced enough with this basic setup and it's paying its way I shall look at getting the setup perfectly tailored to my climbing style. As yet, style is something my climbing lacks

I think what i'll do, is a length of static rope, a prusik and my pulley, two biners, a double fishermans and a fig8. should serve me suitably well? When im experienced enough with this basic setup and it's paying its way I shall look at getting the setup perfectly tailored to my climbing style. As yet, style is something my climbing lacks

I think that set up sounds good for your needs Jim, don't get to hung up on what we all say on here, everyone has a favourite set-up and idea of what the best method is.

And i think most would agree, what you have in mind is a nice set-up.

By the way fliplines as main climbing strops suck!