How heavy do you reckon this would be??

Al Cormack

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We wanted to use a crane to lift a big horse chestnut out of a garden in Oxford. It was 52m from the proposed position of the crane. The biggest untended crane we could get was 100tonnes and it could only lift 1.7tonnes at that reach. Also the insurance premium ramped up to near 5 figures as the lifts were to be over several houses. Needless to say the lads did it the old fashioned way in little bits through the house. 18tonnes of tree.

Had a look at a live Oak to fell the other day.

The main trunk is around 4ft in diameter and is like that from the ground upto around 20ft. It is a monster.

Thinking about using a crane, but not sure if it will reach or be able to pick this up, so how heavy would a piece of timber like that be?

Hi Al,

Sorry for a 'rushed', and fairly scantly researched, reply here but p.140 of the HSE Rigging Research has a table of weight of green Oak and it gives a 5m long 'x' 1m dia. at approx. 4 metric tonnes (if I'm reading it correctly) but there are then correction measures to add...which I don't really understand, sorry!

Hope of (some) help.

Paul

Had a look at a live Oak to fell the other day.

The main trunk is around 4ft in diameter and is like that from the ground upto around 20ft. It is a monster.

Thinking about using a crane, but not sure if it will reach or be able to pick this up, so how heavy would a piece of timber like that be?

This is a useful chart

Timber and Lumber Calculators at WOODWEB

Keep in mind that all woods vary in weight, relative to their water content at a given time of year, and species. The largest variation I've found is in coast redwood. I've weighed young redwood at over 70 lb per cubic foot!!!

As well, typically, the more dense lower trunk wood weighs more. I'm quite sure, for instance, that Douglas-fir lower trunk wood can weigh as much as 60 lb per cubic foot.

Aalso, anyone considering crane work should know the load chart for a given crane. I don't have the site's handy on this computer, but charts for many cranes can be found, though they do take a considerable comprehension level to decipher.

Easiest thing to do would be get the crane company down to have a gander. They will tell you straight away if they can or can't do it. If you get them with full contract lift hire it is on their insurance if it went wrong.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

To cut the trunk smaller would have to be done up the tree, as I would not be be able to fell the trunk - I think the grass would get a bit dented!

If I get the job there will be enough money on it to pay for a crane if one can be used, otherwise it's do it the old fashioned way - probably take a week atleast.

Cheers...Al.