Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Gnarlyoak

Does anyone else suffer from this. Did you have any non-surgical treatment which helped, or have you had surgery for this and if so how long did it take you to recover and what sort of physical limitations did you experience during your recovery?

I have had the disease for some years now in both hands and had an operation to one back in february which fixed the problem. But I'm still not fully recovered from the op.

To alleviate the pain during night time, I have found it helps to stretch the fingers fully, possibly trapping the hand in a stretched-out position under the pillow, since it relieves some of the pressure on the nerves.

BTW - you can tell if it is Carpal Tunnel Syndrome if the problem relates to thumb, index, middle and half of the ring finger, but not the other half of the ring finger and little finger, since the nerves to those do not go through the carpal tunnel.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To alleviate the pain during night time, I have found it helps to stretch the fingers fully, possibly trapping the hand in a stretched-out position under the pillow, since it relieves some of the pressure on the nerves.

shall try this tonight,,, am in follking agony tonight...:crying:

My night-time pins'n'needles has been diagnosed as mild osteo-arthritis in lower neck vertebrae, not CTS as first thought. The diagnosis came after xrays of the spine showed mild "wear and tear" causing pressure on the nerve that goes down to the hand (but only when lying down!). No real pain as such but have been told it is likely to get worse over time.

I visit a chiropractor every few months to be "worked on" and this seems to help

My night-time pins'n'needles has been diagnosed as mild osteo-arthritis in lower neck vertebrae, not CTS as first thought. The diagnosis came after xrays of the spine showed mild "wear and tear" causing pressure on the nerve that goes down to the hand (but only when lying down!). No real pain as such but have been told it is likely to get worse over time.

I visit a chiropractor every few months to be "worked on" and this seems to help

Well done mate for checking your options and not relying on the initial diagnosis, if your chiropractor doesn't do deep tissue massage I would highly recommend it.

Hang in there with the right combo of treatments you should be able to be symptom free, esp as it's mild "wear/tear":thumbup1:

I'm in better shape now than 10yrs ago even tho my osteo-arthritis is much worse in my neck, all due to my chiropractor, lots of remedial massage and a balanced strength program.

You ought to steer well clear of chiropracters, as they are usually taught one thing and that is manipulation (bone cracking) which is fine IF that is what is required, but will be doing unbelievable damage if that is not what your injury requires. They are seen as 'alternative' medicine. along with the likes of faith healers etc by the general medical council. Physiotherapy and osteopathy are the only spino-skeletal processes that are deemed safe. This is because a broad range of treatments are carried out, including everything that a chiropracter can offer, but not exclusively. Ill stop waffling, but get yourself down to a registered physiotherapist.

Edit: who do you see Ian?

You ought to steer well clear of chiropracters, as they are usually taught one thing and that is manipulation (bone cracking) which is fine IF that is what is required, but will be doing unbelievable damage if that is not what your injury requires. They are seen as 'alternative' medicine. along with the likes of faith healers etc by the general medical council. Physiotherapy and osteopathy are the only spino-skeletal processes that are deemed safe. This is because a broad range of treatments are carried out, including everything that a chiropracter can offer, but not exclusively. Ill stop waffling, but get yourself down to a registered physiotherapist.

Tom hi, currently i'm struggling to find any one hits the spot for me so to speak, but for me the most effective combo is remedial massage and manipulation, historically that has worked best for me.

My issue with physiotherapy is that generally speaking they don't do alot of(if any) hands on soft tissue treatment.

I'm maybe biased as sadly I have spent alot of money on failed treatments, and as I said previously after my misdiagnosis I retrained as a sports therapist which I think has given me an inside view on some of what "goes on".

I'll be very happy when i'm back doing tree work TBH.

Do you get regular treatment Tom?

Yeah- have had for years- i tore a muscle in my shoulder when younger which pulled my thorassic spine across to the left, and have two discs mising each side of L4 vertebra, which has slipped forward and i now have a 90 degree bend in my spine there. A large part of my treatment involves deep tissue massage, as well as manipulation (usually in my cranial and thorasic vertebra from referred problems from lower down), and even ultra sound and lazer therapy. Ive not been for a while now, and ned my neck realigning, as i cant lift my right arm above my shoulder without excruciating pain if at all.

You should try Roz Boisseau at Hawksland (she has been sorting me out for years), or Malcom |Retallick in wadebridge. I am sure there are others closer to you- in fact i recal someone mentioning someone very good in newquay, but i cant remember who.

Yeah- have had for years- i tore a muscle in my shoulder when younger which pulled my thorassic spine across to the left, and have two discs mising each side of L4 vertebra, which has slipped forward and i now have a 90 degree bend in my spine there. A large part of my treatment involves deep tissue massage, as well as manipulation (usually in my cranial and thorasic vertebra from referred problems from lower down), and even ultra sound and lazer therapy. Ive not been for a while now, and ned my neck realigning, as i cant lift my right arm above my shoulder without excruciating pain if at all.

You should try Roz Boisseau at Hawksland (she has been sorting me out for years), or Malcom |Retallick in wadebridge. I am sure there are others closer to you- in fact i recal someone mentioning someone very good in newquay, but i cant remember who.

Blimey Tom thats quite a catalogue.

Thanks for those names sir very kind of you:thumbup1:, I do use a guy in newquay but he doesn't do manipulation and is only part time so can't always get diaries to mesh.

Crikey; you fall out of a plane or something? I'm very happy not to have your back I must say.

Perhaps you've had bad experiences of chiropracters but I've been 'cracked' many times (tight muscles, not bones) and have loved it. But that was done by osteopaths, including students under instruction.

The only chiropracter I've been to - and am still seeing - uses deep tissue massage, mobilisation (a step down from manipulation) and the McTimony system which concentrates on the correct positioning of the vertrebrae. If one's out he places the heel of an open hand on it and knocks the hand part inwards and part away with his other hand - a sort of glancing blow. It works; I really know it the next day.

Then again I don't have your problems by a country mile; I don't envy you them but best of luck with treatment.

As an aside the same practice has a veterinary chiropracter. I know only one patient, a 10-year old mongrel who took on a new lease of life after having her back realigned!

I popped my back out up the gym doing deadlifts. The kwak referred me to physio then a chiropractor and then just put me on a load of pain killers. Nothing worked and I couldn't even see straight never mind stand up. Finally got a referral from a different Doc who sent me to an oesteopath. The oesteopath also did electro acupuncture which is when they pulse a mild electric current through the needles which contracts and then releases the muscles (or so I believe). Anyway, it only took a couple of visits to sort out the problem once and for all and I haven't had any issues with my back since. It all may sound a bit dodgy but if I can avoid the drugs I will and I can highly recommend the treatment if you can find anyone that does it. It also worked wonders for the wife who has suffered with back and neck issues for donkeys. The same treatment might work for those with neck and shoulder issues and it isn't as brutal as manipulation.