Death by strangulation!

Gnarlyoak

I'm all for planting trees, but aftercare should not be an afterthought (or no thought whatsoever!!). Here are a couple of examples of two dead trees which I had to fell recently. Originally planted 6-8yrs ago by a volunteer conservation group on behalf of the LA.

5976564d1a3bc_T2Bottom.jpg.0c400f340df8f16e836d42cf89fa3f7f.jpg

5976564d186b6_T2top.jpg.cf1438260f50dc0bd479a2decd5e1eae.jpg

5976564d16c7d_TreeNo.2.jpg.f15f398635f8f0a9e57fa10a17077aca.jpg

5976564d1413a_T1bottom.jpg.5fd1b21c2e420c05d61623dee3f5a136.jpg

5976564d11628_T1top.jpg.ae389e857fc2793bf7c93e11ca13c100.jpg

5976564d0ef20_TreeNo.1.jpg.b32688f86f967eb0a467fb277ed9af4a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My brothers old boss (well known for being a tight aris) had bought a roll of woven coil land drain and cut it into metre lengths and used it as tree guards, but he never took them off so 10-12 years later I spent 2 days cutting them off for him, not a pleasant job as most of them were full of water and rotten leaves, mind surprisingly most of the trees hadnt taken too much harm

having been on a formative prunning job last week and this week I could easily put about 200 pics on here of awful planting and awful aftercare (until we came in:thumbup1: ) brambles as high as some of the trees itself trees planted unbelivabley close together I could go on and on.

Has anyone seen these wire systems dont think they are as bad as it sounds there is no wire that goes into the tree its protected by a rubberish types sheeth near the tree so it exspands to a certain point?

Some of the other lads have installed them on the same job will get a picture next time im there

Complete waste of time, money and tree stock.:thumbdown:

Without exaggeration I would say 90%+ of all the newlyish planted LA trees around here look like that.

That pic Monkeyd has put up is quite a common site unfortunately.

I bet the steel work and planting cost a fair bit too.:001_rolleyes:

I keep a folding knife in my work bag and I quite often find myself using it to cut off old tree ties and tubes on the job.

I've got one; our town council did a huge community tree planting project on a slope near the river avon, needless to say half of the trees can now longer be seen for brambles.