what is a split tale used for

sean1212

hi there having not long paased cs38 39 i am starting to buy my own climbing kit been looking at various places to buy and came across a thing called a split tale i was not sure what it dose if any one could tell me what it is used for i would be greatfull

thanks

sean1212

The advantage of the Split tail is that you can vary the length of the hitch (ie, really short or really long depending on what you need)

One other thing to mention, is that you need to use a stopper knot on the end if you use one as the system is "open"

Good luck!!

thanks tommy b i think i realy need to get out with some experianced guys see how the tie these setups as at the moment im only climbing with guy that are either the same level as me or well below my climbing level

is it just me or is it not worrying that people can pass cs38/39 and not know what a split tail is :thumbdown:

all i learned at college was the prussic method. when i first found this site and read some of the climbing threads, it was all gibberish!

i think the reasoning is that the students are taught to climb with the most basic methods, so they have a "foundation" of skills to build on when they leave. of course, i would have much prefered to have learned some more techniques from my college lecturers, than self taught from the internet! :sneaky2:

maybe an overload of information and techniques at an early stage would result in more accidents, that might be why they dont teach some stuff? :confused1: