Metal Detector

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if that dectector I use is just a scaled down version of a full sized one Dave - I think it's more designed for looking into wood... but I'd have to check up on that.

Either way it's robust and has been an absolute life saver when looking for metal in trees as it will detect even a paper clip :thumbup:

Lent it to someone while I was away recently but let me know if the one you've fixed doesn't work out and I'll dig out the details.

Tested this one on the drive Rob and it was picking up individual reinforcing bars 6 inch deep, so I'm optimistic.

What I was meaning with yours is if you look at a metal detector, it's easy to convert one to exactly the same setup as yours and depth of detection depends on how much you want to spend, the dearer the better.

Cut off at line x

Move control box down shaft and move rubber handle onto straight bit of shaft.

Fisher-F5-metal-detector.jpg.66916ca69fcd4548b66bfda7b163d76f.jpg

Hmmm.... that one in the picture looks much better than mine!

I can see what you mean Dave it wouldn't be that hard a job to do....

... but I'd as likely still make a mess of it :sneaky2::lol:

Sounds like your one is working fine though. It's one of those things a metal detector - after you've used one a few times how did you ever do without!

• 1 month later...

Well the wee detector I got works fine to about 3" and is good for an initial scan to see if there is any metalwork present in the trunk but I needed something better to go deeper to scan whole trunks.

So I have got boys toys stevie fever and bought one of these Minelab X-Terra 505

What I have to do now is become a complete geek and go and find a gold coin stash to pay for it.

£26 a month from Minelab Metal Detectors: E-TRAC, Xterra, Explorer SE, Safari, Sovereign:laugh1:

Next week I will hit national headlines for finding the biggest ever hoard of gold bullion ever located anywhere in the world, I'm going to scan stevies back garden