Armor Prus for sale.

Tommy_B

Good idea, I have an old piece, when I get a chance i'll do a smokey burnout from 40' ish, with some leather gloves, and we'll see what happens.

Cool. I have a couple of bits going for about 7 months now. Could do the same to see how it reacts to a heavy bloke. Minimum friction , ropeguide a must and then chop it up.

• 1 month later...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good idea, I have an old piece, when I get a chance I’ll do a Smokey burnout from 40' ish, with some leather gloves, and we'll see what happens.

How did you guys get on, did anyone do a smoke then check the core.

We have, took a cord that had been thrashed, (some guy recon'd there was not a Prussic he couldn't destroy) he gave up and gave the sample back to us. I must say it had seen better day however this was an extreme test and most climbers would not do this unless it was an emergency. Like someone said earlier, if you are doing this to your prussic then best stick to your knitting (or something like that.

Anyway, we tested the core and found no loss of strength from a new cord, no signs of heat transfer at all.

We already knew this prior to launch as we have had many years experience in the yachting industry where they can easily melt the cover off a braid. New covers we use now will withstand 600degC with a Dyneema core. Heat is transfer away from the source very quickly however doing so releases the energy or heat. As the out surface is exposed to air this is the easiest release for that energy.

You may have seen the demonstration of fire suits made from Kevlar (like Technora) A flame can be held to the outside of the cloth while the inside stays relatively cool, I will see if I can find the Vid on Utube

• 2 weeks later...