Hello! and a few questions if i may?

Thanks for all the replies.

I understand that the pay wont be the highest to start with and its going to take time for me to make my self a name in the industry.

I would like to be a climber eventually but want to start as a ground worker.I might be going about things the wrong way with that one, what do you guys think?

Thanks for the advice im going to look at kingswood now,tonbridge isnt too far from me so that could be a good option.

Pat

I think thats the only way to be a climber you have to do your cs30/31 to do 38/39 (aerial rescue and saw in a tree) plus most firms will wont you to prove yourself on the ground first.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the replies.

I understand that the pay wont be the highest to start with and its going to take time for me to make my self a name in the industry.

I would like to be a climber eventually but want to start as a ground worker.I might be going about things the wrong way with that one, what do you guys think?

Thanks for the advice im going to look at kingswood now,tonbridge isnt too far from me so that could be a good option.

Pat

you want to be grounding, maybe being sent up the odd smaller tree here and there for experience. if you get sent straight up as a climber you will have no appreciation of the work involved on the ground and your climbing will reflect that. above all you need to get in with a good company. id personally recommend getting in with a small up and coming company running one gang. you are more likely to get mentored by a good climber than you are if sent out with a bigger company as part of another team. thats my opinion anyways

I cant see that you will earn any more doing tree work than you will as a bike mechanic. Just my own personal opinion but i'd keep doing what you are doing. Loads of places are short of decent bike mechanics, my bike always comes back with more wrong with it than it went in for.:001_smile:

Hang on to what you earn a living at,get some qualifications without commiting yourself financialy,realise that it is not easy to just jump into this trade,it takes time to become viable as a climber or groundy,and look for a bit of part time work,expecting low pay but gaining experience.

I cant see that you will earn any more doing tree work than you will as a bike mechanic. Just my own personal opinion but i'd keep doing what you are doing. Loads of places are short of decent bike mechanics, my bike always comes back with more wrong with it than it went in for.:001_smile:

:thumbup: what he says.... maybe you just need to work for the "right" brand...

who are you working for at the moment?

where are you based? and are you willing to travel/ move?

what bikes are you used to working on?

can you prep race bikes?

etc etc...

you ARE in a good industry, ok you're never going to be a millionaire rodney, BUT you're not ina crap place,,, maybe you just need to look at where you are at through a slightly different shade of rose....:thumbup:

:thumbup: what he says.... maybe you just need to work for the "right" brand...

who are you working for at the moment?

where are you based? and are you willing to travel/ move?

what bikes are you used to working on?

can you prep race bikes?

etc etc...

you ARE in a good industry, ok you're never going to be a millionaire rodney, BUT you're not ina crap place,,, maybe you just need to look at where you are at through a slightly different shade of rose....:thumbup:

That's the best answer. Tree work is brutal and with the way things are at the moment there will be more "tree surgeons" than trees. Haha

There is not enough jobs available within the industry and there is far too many people doing minimal training and claiming they are "tree surgeons". All that does is degrade the industry and increase our insurances and hse regs. Maybe.

In response to ad15, im based in gillingham,i done my apprentaship at a custom motorcycle shop called kent choppers, i now work at a large second hand bike shop in the center of gillingham, mainly working on jap bikes, gixxers,blades and busas seem to be the main culpret,as regards to preping race bikes i done a bit for AJ racing who raced in british superbikes. call me crazy but im sick of working inside i want to get back outside.

thanks for all the replys and your honesty, i know its not going to be easy, I have arranged to meet up with a few firms in the next week. couldnt have come at a better time as found out yesterday that the garage i work at is off to the liquidators!

wish me luck!

Pat