big tops and interesting cuts

Steve Bullman

Interesting vid but not difficult, top was tied and under tension, if you listen you can hear the tractor power up and pull as it starts to fall, that’s why it leaps forward and always falls in the right direction.

You can see the tractor in the second tree he tops.

I have used the same technique many times in the past when I lived on the farm using a tractor to pull the tree into our field and not over the ditch into the neighbouring field but we always cut at the bottom not half way up.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen that first cut used a couple of times (twice in ten yrs to be exact) and was told its called a 'trigger cut'? obviously self explanatory from the video but was told that if your tree was leaning and you were pulling it. It almost eliminates the risk of barbers chair, Simon Macann that's who showed me it. IMO never needed to use it.

There seems to be a few people who can see uses for this type of cutting, I personally cant, but to those who can, why is it any better than a standard dogstooth?

Oh, and from what i understand, the excuse in the first tree was he hit some metal, but I still dont understand the reasons for felling up there!

I have done large fells off spikes, for two reasons only.

1 To fit a tall fell into a short space.

2 On a job doing 4 metre pollards on large trees were I had to do 6-8 a day to make it pay.

Not too sure why Murphy did those that way.

So in affect it was a directional step cut. Did make sure it jumped off the stump over the shrubs I suppose.

Be careful if you use that cut, it can just as easily make the butt stay up in the air whilst the tip comes down and spring the butt backwards, it doesn't always launch off like that.