Bank holiday splicing

old snake

Tommy, nice work. I'm no expert but they look good to me.

I would climb on them, and I suppose thats about the best compliment anyone can give really isn't it.:thumbup1:

Cheers mate, I did the splice on the white lowering line, Old Snake spliced the rest, I just did the whipping. He made the splicing look stupidly easy so I had a go and realised how much actually goes into something that a lot of us take for granted. :001_smile:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers mate, I did the splice on the white lowering line, Old Snake spliced the rest, I just did the whipping. He made the splicing look stupidly easy so I had a go and realised how much actually goes into something that a lot of us take for granted. :001_smile:

The white one looks ok to me mate. Personally I dont think i'd have the patience to do it. Think if I tried it, id just have a lot of half spliced ropes in the garage. :001_smile:

I thought that too mate, but once you get your head around it and have it explained to you (more than once in my case!! haha!!) it starts to make sense!!

Very cool skill to have and I'd happily recommend Old Snake to anyone for splicing, absolutley top class work!!

I had a go at splicing my xtc12 yale rope the other day. using this method

http://www.samsonrope.com/site_files/12S_C1_EyeSpl.pdf

from what i understand, i have to bury until mark 2 and 3 meet.. so im burying full thickness rope into itself plus the tapered fid length too?

I didnt have much luck :( maybe i need a better fid. Any recommendations for a beginner messing about?

Your too kind mate:blushing::biggrin:

I think you'd make a good splicer mate! and your already down with the whipping!! haha

Bender-The best advise i can give is to get on a splicing workshop with nod. You'll learn tons.

If your going to one of the trade shows then stop by on the splicing stand and ask a few questions. Its quite hard to explain things sometimes in writing...............well it is for me!!

This is the splice I did about a month ago.

I have purposely not whipped it and have used it as a light lowering rope.

The reason is to instill confidence in my own splices to demonstrate to myself how strong they are.

I have progessively increased the load and today proper abused it, knocked out heavy load after heavy load and now I am totally satisfied that with whipping they will not move at all under normal climbing conditions

The eye has elongated ever so slightly but the crossover hasn't moved, it's still smooth all the way across the x-over, so I am satisfied the eye has just settled in rather than pulled out a little

I'm on with making a double dog lead out of Samson Ice now :biggrin:

Image0155.jpg.6a72c459d180b0e18cffff56986cc148.jpg

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

i made a dog lead for my old man... he watched me do it then say he didnt want it. too big for a springer. so I got some marlow 8mm double braid and spliced that up for him.

gave the original to Mark Bolam for his bitch.

Cheers for the advice guys. I think my makeshift fid was of too large diameter wire, so I will have another go with some piano wire. I guess 1mm is probably a good thickness.

As for a course, I would love to get down to one, just the the old time and money problems :) Ah well! I will get round to it sometime.