what would you charge?

robert t

I run a small outfit and have equipment that frequently sits idle. Selling is not an option because certain contracts I have I need to have access to this machinery, normally different machines at different times.

I am thinking of hiring out some of the machinery with operator, to other companies, some of who have asked me to do this in the past, but at that time I had other commitments that would not allow me the time.

My problem is that having never hired out machines only to other companies, a lot who a landscapers, I am not to sure of what would be the current price to charge in to days market. I dont want to charge too much and lose hires but I dont want to sell my self too cheaply. I have in mind some figures and would appreciate any comment from anyone.

Valmet 6400 front loader with 11tonne botex trailer, 560tl trailer mounted crane £350 per day

Valmet 6400 front loader with tp200 woodchipper £275 per day

Valmet 6400 front loader with 31/2 tonne winch £225 per day

Volvo 2.7 tonne digger £160 per day £210 with timber crab and rotator.

31/2 tonne tippers with 6" timberwolf £160 per day

Above prices include operator, but I am not sure about the fuel?

Thanks to all comments in advance.:thumbup1:

robert.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the tipper/chipper combi is CHEAP!!!

Think realistically what the machine costs you to run an hour include depreciation and fuel costs, add a decent wage and you will want more than that.

I get near on £50 an hour to include removal of the arisings from a number of landscapers (minimum 2 hours). What you have to remember is they usually deal with small trees/shrubs/similar which often contain stuff which will blunt your blades alot quicker than limb after limb of nice clean hardwood. Up your rate and make it hourly not daily and you will ensure you are working when there and not sitting waiting for stuff to chip.

It sounds a lot of money but when they see what you can do in an hour they will come back, also they will be organised or it costs them money. I initially argued my price as being able to clear 2 £100 skips worth in 2 hours hence saving them £100. It's easy money

how long is your "per day" ;)

also

why is there £50 difference between a Volvo 2.7 tonne digger for digging and a Volvo 2.7 tonne digger with timber grab and rotator for lifting/stacking, digging will ware out a digger faster than lifting stacking which has much lower forces.

the tipper/chipper combi is CHEAP!!!

Think realistically what the machine costs you to run an hour include depreciation and fuel costs, add a decent wage and you will want more than that.

I get near on £50 an hour to include removal of the arisings from a number of landscapers (minimum 2 hours). What you have to remember is they usually deal with small trees/shrubs/similar which often contain stuff which will blunt your blades alot quicker than limb after limb of nice clean hardwood. Up your rate and make it hourly not daily and you will ensure you are working when there and not sitting waiting for stuff to chip.

It sounds a lot of money but when they see what you can do in an hour they will come back, also they will be organized or it costs them money. I initially argued my price as being able to clear 2 £100 skips worth in 2 hours hence saving them £100. It's easy money

I did wonder about charging by the hour. It dose take a lot of brash to keep the chipper going for full day. :thumbup1:

cant comment on the rest of it really BUT a 3.5 ton tipper with a chipper and an operator for £160 is too cheap mate imo.

Cheers Mozza, what do think is a reasonable price?

how long is your "per day"

also

why is there £50 difference between a Volvo 2.7 tonne digger for digging and a Volvo 2.7 tonne digger with timber grab and rotator for lifting/stacking, digging will ware out a digger faster than lifting stacking which has much lower forces.

b101uk. Would had thought working 8hr day including traveling.

To stay competitive with ordinary digger I thought of this price and with the grab slightly more specialized and to justify the extra cost of grab charge £50 extra

I cant comment on the rest of it really BUT a 3.5 ton tipper with a chipper and an operator for £160 is too cheap mate imo.

agree with Mozza there, i would say £225 for a day in this climate.

to be honest at £160 a day i will sell my chipper and truck and hire you in on a daily basis, will you groundy for another tenner?

agree with Mozza there, i would say £225 for a day in this climate.

to be honest at £160 a day i will sell my chipper and truck and hire you in on a daily basis, will you groundy for another tenner?

Is it the fact the chipper comes with the tipper that is making it sound cheep?

Its only because it would be my son operating and unfortunately due to his young age I only insured him for one of the older tippers, thats why it would be with tipper. Extra tenner for grounding :thumbup::thumbup:

at those prices i would hire you on a regular bases as long as the kit was in good condition and the operators were on the ball, anymore than that and i wouldnt. I think you arent far off the mark mate

I keep all my gear in tip top condition, fresh, clean and well looked after. operators would be reliable, enthusiastic and hard working or I would KICK their ass. look forward to your call Stephen:laugh1: