yesterdays ash take down close call

ben lightfoot

This is the reason I bought an endoscope.

If there are any woodpecker holes it's dead easy then to give them a quick check before we start.

I've got an Oak in my wood with about 7 wood pecker holes in it which has alerted me to a potentail problem with the tree, although it looks plush and dandy at the moment, it's a potentail failure roadside

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

very lucky to still have its head.. had similar thing with a dead log on the ground, saw went through it a bit quick, looked at cut straight afterwards and instead of wood there was straw inside and then a mouse popped its head out to see what was going on.. lucky mouse, put its home under a nearby holly.

wow, that was lucky!. The best thing to have done would be, as has already been said, tack a disc of wood on top of the hollow trunk and come back later on in the year when the bird has flown the nest.

The reality of the situation is we have to lose money to facilitate such things...its always a compromise between earning a crust and caring for the wildlife in the trees we work in daily. Good job mate:congrats:

there was a hole about 3-4ft below their hole and the mother was about, so put it in there, didn't want to leave it in their current one as it would be open to the elements and no way of getting to the other as it was on the under side of the limb

did you put a roof on the top as well? only now there is a big hole to collect water.....

the hole that it was in was seperate to a hole further down, as i took a chog off the entrance hole must have been round the other side of the chog. Like has been said we could have found said chog and nail it back up there but just figured the next hole down which was only feet away was the next best thing (also no nails). He was making plenty of noise calling for the mother so im sure she found him