Where do you see arb heading in the next decade?

Andy Collins

in giving a small introduction to my world, others have be awoken to a world of fascination that passed them by before.

How presumptious of you to assume you have enlightened people to the 'natural world'. Do you really believe your the only one of who appreciates a walk through a woodland on a sunny day? There's millions of people who enjoy the wonders of nature, and they sure as hell dont need you or Alan Rayner to open their eyes.

Your ideas are not new, havent you heard of Lao Tzu and Taoism? it predates Rayner's inclusionality by 2600 years, read the writings, become educated in them before you continue ranting on about inclusionality and your special connection with nature.

Laozi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Almost every culture since the dawn of time has a variation on inclusionality and humankind's relationship with nature.

Your intentions may be genuinly good but if you continue to parade around Arbtalk like some kind of demented cult leader people will turn away and simply ignore the rambling and predictable rhetoric.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hama,

Lao Tzu taught that all straining, all striving are not only vain but counterproductive. One should endeavor to do nothing (wu-wei). What does this mean? It means not to literally do nothing, but to discern and follow the natural forces -- to follow and shape the flow of events and not to pit oneself against the natural order of things.

His teachings predate Christianity by centuries

Very interesting thread Andy!

As a newcomer to the trade, in a time when any job is hard to come by, let alone a trainee position in arb, I've given up on looking to get in with a company. Back to college in September to learn the trade properly for me! ... Lets hope theres work to go to when I'm done!

How presumptious of you to assume you have enlightened people to the 'natural world'. Do you really believe your the only one of who appreciates a walk through a woodland on a sunny day? There's millions of people who enjoy the wonders of nature, and they sure as hell dont need you or Alan Rayner to open their eyes.

Your ideas are not new, havent you heard of Lao Tzu and Taoism? it predates Rayner's inclusionality by 2600 years, read the writings, become educated in them before you continue ranting on about inclusionality and your special connection with nature.

Laozi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Almost every culture since the dawn of time has a variation on inclusionality and humankind's relationship with nature.

Your intentions may be genuinly good but if you continue to parade around Arbtalk like some kind of demented cult leader people will turn away and simply ignore the rambling and predictable rhetoric.

I am sorry that you feel so negative toward my flow, i guess we arent all as receptive and open and inclusional as we could be:001_tt2:

I'm not convinced that any of the emerging legislatures are going to create that distinction in the majority of folk's minds that Arb is not merely an extension of gardening and that expectations of cost and price are usually wrong.

IOW: "It's still just a tree! - who cares?".

I think; if anything, that more will slide towards ecologists as it is their profession to understand ecology [No **** right?]. Whilst Hama et al [myself included once upon a time] can clamour to the "inclusive-and-all-embracing-wonderful-aspects-of-arb-in-all-its conservation/mycology/ecology/habitat" bubble, arborists are still hoisting ropes and saws up trees and will be seen as such.

As a current BSc Hons undergrad in Arb with a few years experience [not many but qualitative] there seems to be three main demographics in the industry [+ the "I wanna chainsaw!" crowd].

1. The "rough and ready" keen to work arborist, who has weathered it thus far and will continue to do so.

2. The emerging tree consultancy business [though still embedded in insurance and or planning/court]

3. The people doing the practical work already and who are actually academically interested in tree/mycological biology etc but have nowhere to put it.

4. The many gormless idiots who "can't wait" to get their "chainsaw license" from where on in it will start raining naked women aged 18-30 and cash bundles will arrive on silver platters.

In terms of a changing industry I think that these demographs will respectively.

1. Graft as they always have and continue to earn as they always have.

2. Push papers around same as any other paper pusher.

3. Possibly start seeing some extra niches emerging in terms on conservation management or bat reports etc but the scope will be limited.

4. Colleges\universities will continue to monetise the idea of Arboriculture to people, and do well for themselves at that. Large companies get cheap labour for ever.

EDIT:>> Sorry it was so wordy/sprawling.

Edited by Monkey-D
Your use of inapropriate language merits a complete deletion of this post, as it's a total lack of respect for the site owner

I'm not convinced that any of the emerging legislatures are going to create that distinction in the majority of folk's minds that Arb is not merely an extension of gardening and that expectations of cost and price are usually wrong.

IOW: "It's still just a tree! - who cares?".

I think; if anything, that more will slide towards ecologists as it is their profession to understand ecology [No **** right?]. Whilst Hama et al [myself included once upon a time] can clamour to the "inclusive-and-all-embracing-wonderful-aspects-of-arb-in-all-its conservation/mycology/ecology/habitat" bubble, arborists are still hoisting ropes and saws up trees and will be seen as such.

As a current BSc Hons undergrad in Arb with a few years experience [not many but qualitative] there seems to be three main demographics in the industry.

1. The "rough and ready" keen to work arborist, who has weathered it thus far and will continue to do so.

2. The emerging tree consultancy business [though still embedded in insurance and or planning/court]

3. The people doing the practical work already and who are actually academically interested in tree/mycological biology etc but have nowhere to put it.

4. The many gormless idiots who "can't wait" to get their "chainsaw license" from where on in it will start raining naked women aged 18-30 and cash bundles will arrive on silver platters.

In terms of a changing industry I think that these demographs will respectively.

1. Graft as they always have and continue to earn as they always have.

2. Push papers around same as any other paper pusher.

3. Possibly start seeing some extra niches emerging in terms on conservation management or bat reports etc but the scope will be limited.

4. Collegesuniversities will continue to monetise the idea of Arboriculture to people, and do well for themselves at that. Large companies get cheap labour for ever.

EDIT:>> Sorry it was so wordy/sprawling.

GRIM!:laugh1:

By the way, your avatar, do you know where it ACTUALY comes from?

It is used to describe flow form in the inclusional e group!

Edited by Monkey-D
deleting asplens bad language

You know... Rather than quoting an entire post [entire being the key word here], you can just respond to it so everyone else is spared tapping down on the keyboard or wheeling their mouse to read the same **** twice.

The image came from google images "Tree" as far as I care :).

You know... Rather than quoting an entire post [entire being the key word here], you can just respond to it so everyone else is spared tapping down on the keyboard or wheeling their mouse to read the same **** twice.

In the same vein of giving forum advice.....

please have more respect for the site owners rules on the use of inappropriate language.

You agreed to these rules when you registered.

As I've seen great relevance in your post I've edited it, although most of the other moderators would have completely deleted it.

Play the game :001_smile:

Okaaay so where do you see arb heading in the next decade?

We are driven by the need for money, and we earn that money by working with trees. I cannot live, in any shape or form, without money as society will not allow that to happen. This isnt necessarily greed, but there are costs in life that money pays for. This year I've planted 13acres of woodland on bare agricultural land, hopefully this will eventually offset against all the trees I have removed in the same time. It will provide work in the future in the form of maintenance, and eventually a renewable source. It will help towards the global dilemna we have created. Does it make me feel good, tbh not especially, but its a start (albeit a late start).

I've always had an interest in all things natural, not from a scientific angle, but just a general interest. I'm amazed that I've found ants way up in trees, how long have they taken to get there, how many generations of ant have passed in their quest to get there?

Back on track, I see Arb as we know it going into decline as a trade, but I do see that the Arbor-ecologists will get stronger, maybe tighter Planning controls assisting them. So where will this leave me in 10years time, tbh I really dont know, maybe I'll even join forces with the Arb-Ecol. brigade at some level.

Asplen, in life, universaly i mean, there are around 1% of antagonists, be they fungi or whatever, i think your flow is "antagonistic" might even use the term Anaerobic, a technical word which literally means without air (where "air" is generally used to mean oxygen), as opposed to aerobic.

anaerobic conditions are usualy indacated by a "foul odour" a repulsive and negative space, rather than a welcoming receptive one!:lol: