Bugs, bees and beasties- Bio-diversity matters

White Noise

Humans are a bit smarter than plants ( although it's questionable; I certainly do not subscribe without fuss to the evolutionary faction who believe in an empirical superiority ) They have not got legs mate.....

Anyone can break the law . If you want it enough. I turn oin the tube and watch Howard Marks on Never mind the Buzzcocks, or turn over and Keith Richards is talking about a lifetime of drug addiction....NO PROBLEM.

Tim, do you honestly believe that a plant passport system is effective against little bugs and microbes? you aint that Naive, as long as we have holes in our backsides and imports, we will have invasions from offshore, pets, plants and foods, even furniture for christ sake, all this transportation is whats giving us these issues, people want fancy pants plants, exotic foods and pets and as long as we allow it, were going to have to live with the consequences, and nobody is going to be able to stop it, passports are as useless for plants as they are for folks!:thumbdown:

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha ha...there is certainly no point trying when Holland deliberately imports the critters to make a few extra bucks.....

I suppose you have read of the decision to control Japanese Knotweed here in the uk by biological control? There's no point in a Plant Passport scheme when those writing the rules move the goal posts to suit. Political mumbo JUMBO ........!

And dont tell me you are against a scheme that seeks to prevent the importation of Rainforest hardwoods and plants like the Tree Fern? Effective? not entirely. Plaudable..? Most definitely!

If I had my way, NOTHING living would pass our boundary, ive lost some of the critters that taught me about natural history as a boy, the great diving beetle, the white claws i used to catch as a boy, a lot of this is down to modern practice high pressure high yield societies, and limited space.

but just as much through invasive species, like the signal crayfish, and now balsam is ripping through my beloved wood what it will do to the ecology i dont know, but its now completley swamped a once pristine chalk pit that was RICH in aquatic life.

• 1 month later...

There's a heated argument going on about the eagle owl in the UK.

Eagle owl spreads across British Isles and divides conservationists | Environment | The Observer

QUOTE: "A potential cull of the largest owl in Europe has placed the government at the centre of an increasingly bitter row between conservation groups. There are fears that the eagle owl, a non-native species seen in growing numbers in the British Isles, poses a serious threat to established wildlife. Some groups say the formidable predator must be protected. Others claim it could disturb the UK's existing wildlife balance and, as a non-native species, should not be afforded protection."

• 5 weeks later...
There's a heated argument going on about the eagle owl in the UK.

Eagle owl spreads across British Isles and divides conservationists | Environment | The Observer

QUOTE: "A potential cull of the largest owl in Europe has placed the government at the centre of an increasingly bitter row between conservation groups. There are fears that the eagle owl, a non-native species seen in growing numbers in the British Isles, poses a serious threat to established wildlife. Some groups say the formidable predator must be protected. Others claim it could disturb the UK's existing wildlife balance and, as a non-native species, should not be afforded protection."

Peak predators like the eagle owl are essential in maintaining healthy populations. We have rabbits squirells and foxes coming out of our ears, the owl is the perfect balancer.:thumbup1::thumbup1: