Bugs, bees and beasties- Bio-diversity matters

White Noise

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First pic is a Meadow Brown - last two are of a Ringlet.:thumbup:

I would hazard a guess at Capsodes gothicus, the amount of orange on the wings varies. found in lush grassy places from june-August.:001_smile:

Thanks for the id's guys...of course it's a ringlet :blushing:

I dont know any of these, just thought I would share from this morning in cornwall whilst on the dunes

[ATTACH]39417[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39418[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39419[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]39420[/ATTACH]

Hama, both butterflies are the same species - Common Blue. The male is blue and the female, despite her name, is brown with orange as in pic. :001_smile:

Hama, both butterflies are the same species - Common Blue. The male is blue and the female, despite her name, is brown with orange as in pic. :001_smile:

actualy they are adonis blues, as you rightly point out they are male and female, the slight blue on the upper body of the female being the indicator for an adonis pair, also the vetch they where found on!:thumbup:

actualy they are adonis blues, as you rightly point out they are male and female, the slight blue on the upper body of the female being the indicator for an adonis pair, also the vetch they where found on!:thumbup:

It's sometimes difficult with Blues to get a positive i.d without seeing the under wing, but they are definitely not Adonis Blues.

Yve - you're a lot closer; but given the habitat, location and time of year, I'm going for Silver-studded Blue. As I said, it's tricky without seeing underneath, but the thicker black wing margins on the male would clinch it for me.:001_smile:

Hmmmm....I'm not sure. :wink: It's difficult to tell which species they are as both the Adonis and Common Blue females have an amount of blue colouring and the amount of colouring varies on them both. Isn't the Adonis male usually very bright blue in colour? Your photo of the male appears to have a lighter blue colouring, which would suggest the Common Blue, but you have the advantage of having seen them with your naked eye. On the males, the Adonis has black bands on the wing fringes...difficult to tell from your photo if those are black bands. Perhaps the vetch is the deciding factor then?? :001_smile: