NPTC Training?

It is a crazy world mate. You can see why updates are required but like you said, the whole system is set up so that newly qualified lads are seen as better prospects than seasoned pro's. With the NPTC assesments being pretty much unfailable, its no wonder we have so many people working with saws or climbing, when they shouldn't even be allowed to use a crayon.

So your saying that anyone NEW to the industry that has dreamed of being a "seasoned pro" with a passion for trees and the work involved shouldn't be allowed to spend hundreds of pounds going through all the training and assesments as all we are good for is colouring in?

Surely that attitude wouldn't do your marketing business as there wouldn't be anyone new who wanted to give you money to guide them in their business start up.

Just thought I'd put my 3 pennies worth in :thumbup:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So your saying that anyone NEW to the industry that has dreamed of being a "seasoned pro" with a passion for trees and the work involved shouldn't be allowed to spend hundreds of pounds going through all the training and assesments as all we are good for is colouring in?

Surely that attitude wouldn't do your marketing business as there wouldn't be anyone new who wanted to give you money to guide them in their business start up.

Just thought I'd put my 3 pennies worth in :thumbup:

I'm not saying all newbies are useless. I'm saying it is possible to easily pass NPTC quals when you are useless. This allows useless people to be qualified to perform tasks they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near.

When I decided to dabble in tree work I did cs 30 31 32 38 39 41 all pretty much back to back. Before this I hadn't touched a chain saw. Within a couple of months I was 'fully qualified'. There has got to be something wrong with this, surely.

By the way, as i'm exceptionally good at what I do, I dont rely on wet behind the ears start ups for work, yes I help start ups but my opinion is also very well respected by those who have been in business for years and those who have made many millions. Hope that clears it up for you.

If you look at the expressions on MaxJ's and Arbclimber's dogs faces, they seem appropriate for the conversation they are having - with a bit of imagination. :001_smile: Right I really must get some work done now:vroam:

If you look at the expressions on MaxJ's and Arbclimber's dogs faces, they seem appropriate for the conversation they are having - with a bit of imagination. :001_smile: Right I really must get some work done now:vroam:

You know the saying ' if you haven't got anything useful to say, dont say it'.

:lol::001_tt2:

I'm not saying all newbies are useless. I'm saying it is possible to easily pass NPTC quals when you are useless. This allows useless people to be qualified to perform tasks they shouldn't be allowed anywhere near.

When I decided to dabble in tree work I did cs 30 31 32 38 39 41 all pretty much back to back. Before this I hadn't touched a chain saw. Within a couple of months I was 'fully qualified'. There has got to be something wrong with this, surely.

By the way, as i'm exceptionally good at what I do, I dont rely on wet behind the ears start ups for work, yes I help start ups but my opinion is also very well respected by those who have been in business for years and those who have made many millions. Hope that clears it up for you.

I know your saying.

I think having the qualifications might make some people think they can do it all. (Not throwin any cheap blows to anybody) :blushing:

I only passed my 30/31/38/39 last month and although in there eyes 'im qualified to do the job', in my eyes im not. But thats purely because i haven't got any experience.

Experience is everything in this game :thumbup1:

I know your saying.

I think having the qualifications might make some people think they can do it all. (Not throwin any cheap blows to anybody) :blushing:

I only passed my 30/31/38/39 last month and although in there eyes 'im qualified to do the job', in my eyes im not. But thats purely because i haven't got any experience.

Experience is everything in this game :thumbup1:

Exactly my point mate. I'm not having a go at anyone, thats why the example I used of a man who was qualified but knew very little was myself. As I said, when I started, I had all the quals, up to cs41 and was my own main climber employing staff to work underneath me. Luckily, i'm a sensible chap and nothing went wrong, but it could have gone very wrong.:001_smile:

Paul, I know what you are saying about the expresions. George (my Rottie) is hilarious when we are out walking. Quite often little Terriers and suchlike with small dog syndrome, come running up to him barking and snarling, he just stands there with a very condecending look, as if to say 'you do realise i'm a rottweiler dont you, and I could literally bite you in half'.:lol:

I wouldnt agree completely on that. I know a few climbers with many years of experience who you wouldnt want working for you!

Maybe its skill, knowledge, experience and lastly certs.

Lol yeah i'd forgot them :001_tt2:

But if they haven't got the skill or knowledge to climb a tree why do it, they'd jut get stuck :001_tt2:

To answer the thread question. It's easier to say :001_tongue:

LOADS of colleges is not the same as ALL, and LOADS of colleges STILL internally assess their own candidates.

I run lots of short courses and I'm proud of the fact that I use, and prefer to use, external assessors to assess my learners. There are times when, due to unforeseen circumstances, I'll ask an 'internal' assessor to assess, but 99% of the time, it's a truly independent assessor that has no ties with the College.

Even the 'internal' assessors have NO dealings with my students as my courses are run totally separate to the full-time courses.

One of the benefits of using external assessors, is that it gives me feedback from many assessors on the quality of training provided, and that's a good thing.

DriveLink.