Spliced eye on lowering line.

Mesterh

Getting prepared to be laughed at here but why arent lowering ropes spliced with an eye?

I have my suspicions but was wondering what the real reason is.

Would make things a lot easier ,well would for me and my dinosaur lowering ways.:blushing:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a hard eye with a thimble like Mr Blairs won't go through a pulley but a soft eye should fit through a pulley.

They won't splice lowering ropes as i'd imagine most folk tie knots. Splices cost more to make (and may limit what you do with one end) and take more time than cutting a rope with a hot knife.

Jamie

Cheers for the info all:thumbup1:

They way I rig down is very basic ie 16mm bull rope natural crotch rigging style. Oh I do have a flying capstan now though:thumbup:

I just put a bowline in the end and use a steel Krab as a running bowline type knot. An add a half hitch when required.

Really quicker and has served me well for years so a spliced eye would just make it all a bit quicker and easier. I thought the spliced eye might be the weak link and thats why I dont see lowering ropes advertised with splices.

Didnt think about the pulley bit since I dont use one:blushing:

I may have to have a look at doing a bit of splicing!

They do come with sliced eyes if that what you ask for! They are all sold by the meter aren't they? So you order the length you want and ask for eyes if you want.

I've never bothered with them but can see the advantages.

I dont use slings whilst lowering, just tie a running bowline. So a splice would be pointless and just make tying the knot a PITA.

You could say the very same thing about our climbing lines, but most of us prefer an eye.