stumpgrinding price per inch

John Shutler

I did 6 months grinding for a company about 6 years ago, They won a council contract to grind all the street tree stumps and i was the only one with the ticket, So got stuck with the job :laugh1:

Back then they charged the council £4 an inch for that contract

Did you take away any grindings??

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A fair bit of it yeah, Just left abit of a "hump" so it would settle flat when it rots abit. More often than not, it was tarmac in no time tho

The £2/£2.50 price should be for removing no arisings.

Plus you would be at great risk of hitting services.

i dont understand how youy can price a stump by the inch. an 18 inch stump has an area of 1017.87602 square inches, where as a 6 inch stump has an area of

113.09734 square inches. so you are charging 3 times as much for nearly 10 times the work.

Might want to check your maths on that mate. I get your point but your figures are way out.

I look at each and every stump because I reckon they are like trees, every oner is different

I've been asked to remove stumps before where a good kick will get them out

Dead right, some just need a kick, and also some that should be easy are a pita.

To be honest, if i've taken the tree down and left a decent stump, i've found you can winch out a reasonably sizeable stump. Much quicker, but then you do have a bloody great stump and root plate to try and move:blushing:

Might want to check your maths on that mate. I get your point but your figures are way out.

Whether his maths are correct in this instance, the facts still remain the area of 2x1' stumps is considerably less than one a 1x2' stump, anyone who prices per inch will get severely caught out, I did 17 years ago when I got my first grinder, I soon opted for an hourly rate.

Whether his maths are correct in this instance, the facts still remain the area of 2x1' stumps is considerably less than one a 1x2' stump, anyone who prices per inch will get severely caught out, I did 17 years ago when I got my first grinder, I soon opted for an hourly rate.

I said in my post that I got his point. I agree with the idea completely. Just that if anyone wanted to try and figure out a better way of working it out, if they used his figures, it would be very wrong.:thumbup1: