vt failure causes bad fall

gingertreeninja

Yes-lots of sensible things said-However this is all work positioning and the legal aspects of this have to be borne in mind as we are not recreaction climbing-PUWER n HaSaW ect, but carrying out work operations, so yr employer and his legal requirements do have to be met. Some gear makes the job easier / mor enjoyable-but may not meet every requirement. Kx

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Some consideration needs to be given to the nature of the hitch, when choosing what to climb with.

Out and out 'performance' of a hitch isn't everything. Simplicity and fool proofness in a knot is important. We all get tired towards the end of a day and combined with wanting to get it all done... can lead to stress and increased chance of operator error. working with simple knots can have an advantage in this aspect, and can potential increase work speed, in so far as your hitch won't need to be checked, dressed and set at every new work position.

second that

V. T failure? Nope. Climbed error? Yes. The v.t is an advanced technique of climbing and should be treated as such. Wether you have been climbing for 30 years or 30 minutes it is such a different technique.

The VT is not an advanced technique, it is a knot. You choose your knot according to personal preference.

The idea that it makes you a more advanced climber, like the idea of superior super climbers is a myth. I can only assume it is an ego thing, plenty of that around in treework.

It is also a myth that you need a VT to use a slack tender, A simple pulley type slack tender works fine on a prussick.

The knot is harder to tie correctly and needs constant redressing, and is not recomended for beginners for these reasons only.

I am making this point because I don't think its helpful from what I am reading here and in other threads, to have a knot become a status symbol.

EDit: I know you meant it requires advanced technique in use, but am using your'e quote as an example, because I am putting a damper on some of the VT fever I've been reading generally

Edited by Albedo

Tizn't status symbol for me . Paul, just found it was a easier hitch to work with, however personal preference often over-rides taught systems, an it should -as you do wanna be confident in the tree with yr gear, think that poor guy might have been over-confident of the vt holding? Dunno,

Kx

Whatever system you choose to use it will have its pitfalls. I use the french prussik with a pulley and though it has been superceded by more elaborate systems I think it's the mutts nuts. But then the guys do call me old. The freer a system is to ascend the more likely it is to be freer going down. Call me old school but having learnt some fairly fast lessons at times I habitually check karabiners, ropes and tree. I do this subconciously as I used screw gates and the infamous 2-way karabiners.

One of my guys fell from a conifer hedge 2 years ago from about 15'. He climbed to the top of the ladder, threw his strop around and thought he'd clipped on, next thing he's on his back. Luckily no serious injury but the investigation showed no fault with the system. Always check. Operator error is the cause of pretty well all incidents.

i have a love hate relationship with the VT. Started on a blakes then moved on to the VT. I love the way of climbing with a hitchclimber and VT, but too many times during work the knot would fail to bite and needed constantly looking at and dressing. This had the reverse effect and began to slow down my work. With this i moved back to the blakes.

The ergonomics of a blakes leave a lot to be desired so ive started messing about with some new combinations of hitch and knots. Ive moved away from blaze (which i think is well overrated but thats another thread :lol:) and gone back to a 13mm rope, combine this with 8mm hitch cord, distel knot and hitchclimer and hey presto the knot grips everytime. Im going to give it a good try over the next few weeks at work so we'll see.

Im not going to discard the blakes as i think its a top knot. I think different knots and climbing systems should be treated like tools and used for the correct job in hand. You dont have to stick to one system or knot, use the right one for the right job.

So you never check you krabs for wear and tear and make sur they still function properly?

Of course I do, but not constantly! Although it seems you have to constantly check VT's etc.

you not get a qualified and experienced person once a year to check your krabs don't stay open so you don't have to in the tree.

No chance.I dont get someone else to check them I do a LOLER inspection myself every 6 months and the gear gets a quick check inspection prior to use.

Of course I do, but not constantly! Although it seems you have to constantly check VT's etc.

No chance.I dont get someone else to check them I do a LOLER inspection myself every 6 months and the gear gets a quick check inspection prior to use.

I don't constantly check my vt. It is tied correctly and the hitch cord is well suited to the rope and the length of the cord is suited to the thickness of the rope. Flicking my thumb across the top wrap to check it's sat correctly is a natural thing I do subconciously whilst climbing. I don't stop and physically check the knot.

So are you a competent loler inspector? If not then how does your insurance company feel about the fact that YOU have checked YOUR own equipment and have deemed it ok to you. After all it is YOU who would have to put your hand in your pocket and buy new?

I don't constantly check my vt. It is tied correctly and the hitch cord is well suited to the rope and the length of the cord is suited to the thickness of the rope. Flicking my thumb across the top wrap to check it's sat correctly is a natural thing I do subconciously whilst climbing. I don't stop and physically check the knot.

So are you a competent loler inspector? If not then how does your insurance company feel about the fact that YOU have checked YOUR own equipment and have deemed it ok to you. After all it is YOU who would have to put your hand in your pocket and buy new?

Well you are checking it just quickly and it sounds like its something you do often.

No I'm not a LOLER inspector and I dont need to be to check kit. And I dont have to get someone else to check it its only recommended that you do.

Getting someone to look at your kit every 6 months is pointless imo.

I'm not getting into this LOLER garbage as I've said enough in the past about how pointless I think it is.

If the insurance company wanna riggle out of anything I'm sure they will find a way LOLER inspections or not.