Learning tree id?

Frankie Lawrence

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

remember common names can change with where you are, some customers do like to hear a bit of latin but are usually happy with you speaking the english names all the time

Hah, yeah, that's for sure! But, then again, so can Latin names. One that I can think of is Oregon Grape (Mahonia aquifolium OR Burberris aquifolium)...

What are some other taxonomy name changes?

Hah, yeah, that's for sure! But, then again, so can Latin names. One that I can think of is Oregon Grape (Mahonia aquifolium OR Burberris aquifolium)...

What are some other taxonomy name changes?

latin changes arent so much an area thing, they are usually officially changed although some people will find out before others.

common names vary slightly, cant think of any examples off the top of my head. but there are some places that use different names

Ustulina deusta changed to Kretzschmaria deusta

Big shakes in the crusty world of nomenclature

Most binomals are descriptive in the second part. This makes them easy to remember by association.

Acer palmatum is a good example with the leaf resembling an open hand (use your imagination) and Betula pendula with it's branches like pendulums to name but a couple.

Getting to grips with the subject matter will aid memory even if you aren't naturaly a "Kinesthetic" learner.

"Touch Trees", I am sure someone else said that first ;-)

Edited by treequip
typo

Don't listen to those two reprebates. Hama and I are complete frauds who make it all up as we go along :001_tongue:

A good book, and learn to get your eye in so as not to miss the new & the out of ordinary.

Really take time and look at things, whether that be seedlings emerging or blooms unfurling or Fungi sporolating.

Happy learning, it's a long haul :001_smile:

Hes right about that, well least about me, monkies the real pro he just doesnt want to admit it!