Why is the pay so low??

haforbes

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd say the pay is comparably low because at the end of the day, joe public sees it as 'just a tree' why pay 3k to get it pruned by an AA, ISA, RFS approved contractor with every NPTC ticket when some guy with a ladder and chainsaw will do it cheaper.

Get a less that reputable plumber in to do a job all your pipes leak ruining the house. get your tree topped every other year by a cowboy and who cares. It's not like correct tree care is heavily enforced is it.

low willingness to pay = Low rates = low pay

thats how i see it

Jamie

i'd say the pay is comparably low because at the end of the day, joe public sees it as 'just a tree' why pay 3k to get it pruned by an AA, ISA, RFS approved contractor with every NPTC ticket when some guy with a ladder and chainsaw will do it cheaper.

Get a less that reputable plumber in to do a job all your pipes leak ruining the house. get your tree topped every other year by a cowboy and who cares. It's not like correct tree care is heavily enforced is it.

low willingness to pay = Low rates = low pay

thats how i see it

Jamie

and thats why i want a blanket TPO for ALL trees and tighter coverage to who can operate. JUST LIKE CORGI ETC

depends if your worth the money your asking

I would only ask what im worth, guess ive just had a bad draw with some of the companys ive been asked to work for. For example, id ask £80 to drive to site, provide all my own kit, etc... but they would just get someone fresh out of college for £50 a day.

Needless to say i dont work with that company anymore, onwards and upwards for me! Hopefully... :001_smile:

Edited by Tree Man Tom

I would only ask what im worth, guess ive just had a bad draw with some of the companys ive been asked to work for. For example, id ask £80 to drive to site, provide all my own kit, etc... but they would just get someone fresh out of college for £50 a day.

Needless to say i dont work with that company anymore, onwards and upwards for me! Hopefully... :001_smile:

i do genuinely feel for the lads that really want to get into this game, the pay grade is rubbish at the newbie end. I can only encourage by saying if you work hard get good, youll be rewarded, and if your not rewarded you can get another job with a firm that will appreciate your skills more.

Good groundies, good climbers are hard to come by, firms generaly hold tight to those they have!:thumbup1:

But if you go and work in such a way that you make your employers life much easier and help him make more money, he will be happy to pay you the £30 extra.

Edited by skyhuck

in some cases no doubt the companies are just tight....but in most cases, they are probably pricing tight just to get the work and thus going for the cheaper unexperienced staff(which are always available)

I'm a farmer and I'm looking into studying arboriculture but something is puzzling me, a lot of the jobs that I see advertised for experienced arborists seem to sit in a fairly low pay bracket, especially when you consider the training, experience and the dangers that are expected in this field of work. I fully understand that this is type of job has little to do with money and is a way of life much like farming is. But to put it into perspective, I have a freind who is a now trained plumber, he studied for 3 or 4 years and came out of college and landed a job that pays over 30k. what is the reason for such a low wage for such a highly skilled job:confused1:?

Going back to this original post, I would say coming from a farmer thats a strange attitude to compare to a plumber!

Farming has been historically the second most dangerous job in the country, after building. In past years builders have sorted out their act.

A "farm worker" at present, college trained and qualified to carry out some specific tasks with certificates such as forklift, fert spreader and sprayer will be earning somewhere in the region of £300 per week before overtime (if he is well looked after).

Someone with relevant saw, chipper and climbing tickets working in arb will be at a similar amount wouldnt he?

Going back to this original post, I would say coming from a farmer thats a strange attitude to compare to a plumber!

Farming has been historically the second most dangerous job in the country, after building. In past years builders have sorted out their act.

A "farm worker" at present, college trained and qualified to carry out some specific tasks with certificates such as forklift, fert spreader and sprayer will be earning somewhere in the region of £300 per week before overtime (if he is well looked after).

Someone with relevant saw, chipper and climbing tickets working in arb will be at a similar amount wouldnt he?

I think that is one reason why arb is low paid because of the old connections to forestry and farming.

At least with farming find the right job you may get a house included, then farm workers are on a dam good wage . this is from first hand experiance now having to pay rent to live in the house i used to get with my old job! and earn the same amount each week.