Nesting Birds.

John Hancock

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The council canceled,it is a fairly high profile site and they were worried about flack from some of the locals.

On jobs like that do you think putting a sign up saying 'these trees have been checked for nests prior to work', would help?

In my experience of flak from locals, whatever you tell them, they still know best, and differently from whatever you say.

If you tell them the trees have been checked for nests, they will tell you that a certain bird has been coming to the same nest for 20 years, and it just moved this morning!

Or am I being a little cynical here?

On jobs like that do you think putting a sign up saying 'these trees have been checked for nests prior to work', would help?

Maybe,but you always get some smart @rse,who says you've not checked properly and he's been watching a pair of Golden Eagles raising their young!!,but now they've flown.

The council canceled,it is a fairly high profile site and they were worried about flack from some of the locals.

Covering ones arse has become a major part of my job. Every park here in Worcester has a 'friends' group, even one of the large cemeteries has a 'friends' group. The reason I had the Picus survey done on the Beech wasn't to determine the extent of decay (I knew that already) it was to cover my back-side. Does anyone know of an arborist who has been prosecuted for disturbing nesting birds?

Every hunt in this country is hunting as before the ban with any convictions being over turned, I know this because I wipped in to a beagle pack and after the ban we hunted normally 3 days a week even the two coppers (Hunt liason officers) were pro and would holla and get rid of the antis so I dont see a problem getting rid of crows, pidgeons, magpies etc to be able to carry out work.

Also the other problem ive come across a few times is squirrels.

The first time the client was there and wasted half a day trying to get the squirrels to a sanctuary, she even went through the brash which had been stacked for a few days picking off the snails so they didnt go through the chipper!

It might sound bad but any thing I kill gets dispached by a swift blow to the back of the head, verry quick. I wouldnt put any thing through the chipper.