Nesting Birds.

John Hancock

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a job with a crows nest in one of the 3 trees. The jobs now 3 days insted of 2 as I have to go back to do the offending tree when they have fledged!:cussing:

Don't know if I can even take a look in the nest to see if its sitting on eggs? If its not sitting on eggs can i remove the nest?

Don't quote me on this but...

The way I always looked on it was that if the tree or part of a tree constituted a material hazard then you should undertake the work.

If it was just general management work then you should leave it.

However: -

It comes down basically to the issue as to whether you would be prosecuted and I think (regardless of the technical detail of the various regs) we have to take a pragmatic stance on this.

To be blunt - I think that a prosecution is unlikely if you've chucked a few pigeons out of a hedge cos I don't think that was the main spirit of the regs.

Don't quote me on this but...

The way I always looked on it was that if the tree or part of a tree constituted a material hazard then you should undertake the work.

If it was just general management work then you should leave it..

Tony, I whole heartedly agree with your take on this issue.

Be aware of the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981, as amended, and how it should be part of and related to your Local Tree Safety Policy.

But mostly just use your - common sense, understanding of your local habitat and have empathy towards local interest groups.

Hi , we have done 3 sperate nesting birds surveys today for developers, LA's have requested these before they give permission to fell tpo'd trees...

If you have nesting birds, you simply need to delay works, how many of us actually do this is questonable, one council i used to work for - certain lads used to chuck the nests through the chipper, disgusting..... :cussing:

Funny you should bring this up because i was asked about the lagalities on pruning felling trees in the nesting season. I just sort of waffled on abit then side stepped the question since I'm not fully aware of legal stuff.:dontknow:

If i get halfway through a conifer hedge and find a nest (only pigeons mind) with eggs or very young chicks then im sorry but most of the time its gone. If there older chicks then i will leave it till theyve flown.

Funny you should bring this up because i was asked about the lagalities on pruning felling trees in the nesting season. I just sort of waffled on abit then side stepped the question since I'm not fully aware of legal stuff.:dontknow:

If i get halfway through a conifer hedge and find a nest (only pigeons mind) with eggs or very young chicks then im sorry but most of the time its gone. If there older chicks then i will leave it till theyve flown.

The problem is there are alot of nosy neighbours out there, if they report it then you are buggered... :scared:

On powerline work we had special dispensation from DEFRA giving us permision to remove birds and nests on the basis of safety in order to prune/cut the trees in question.

That sounds a little unfair, one rule for one and not the other senario :wave:

I did a huge conifer hedge about four years ago which was about 400 metre long. It was peak nesting season and the hedge ended up with castleations along its full length, every time we came across a nest we left it and moved on a couple of metres.

to be honest, now with pigeons, if I come across a nest with eggs, i pick the nest up and relocate it lower down, if it has chicks I leave it alone, if I accidently down a conifer top with a nest of chicks in, I try and relocate the nest complete with chicks as nearby as poss.

If you do this you have to put it somewhere where the maggies cant see the nest.

If we accidently kill any bird or chicks, they don't go to waste, they are fed to the ferrets or hawks.