Best security devices for a trailer.

J.D

electrifying the chassis can be fun as well...

Would love to see that one in action!

I think if you go for a wheelclamp don't scrimp - get the best. My mate had his wheelclamped chipper nicked last year and from what I can make out the scum just drove off with it attached; it broke and fell away, which meant they were able to get half a mile before turning it over and dragging it down the road on its side. That clamp wasn't a cheapie; it was solid.

Heavy duty chain and lock through the chassis into a concrete floor sounds favourite. Whatever you go for I hope it works.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dig a big hole stick in a piece of steel rsg with a hole burnt in it backfill with concrete. Reverse trailer over it and chain axles to the steel and lock. Its a pain crawling under the trailer but makes it difficult to cut.

Just remember to unlock befor you hitch up and drive off.:blushing:

Dig a big hole stick in a piece of steel rsg with a hole burnt in it backfill with concrete. Reverse trailer over it and chain axles to the steel and lock. Its a pain crawling under the trailer but makes it difficult to cut.

Just remember to unlock befor you hitch up and drive off.:blushing:

As above, this will slow them down big style

I would say wheels off. Or leave them really loose to the wheels just fall off when they drive away. A solid ground attachment is good too. We have recently built a 50'x100' shed by wareing. Very well built with a solid small door and solid roller door that's only operable by a key from the inside. Some really hood screaming alarms are good. Can hear them for miles! If it doesn't wake you it will wake someone else and have it all linked to police. We are with ADT. if the alarm rings for longer than a certain amount of time then there's a group of cars here.

Also we've had a 8' steel security fence built around our yard. Everything is locked away and with cctv. When we have vans and posh IW trailers out we have a heavy duty American lock chain and padlock. Because they are unattended for time during the day. They are chained through the drawbar on the van and the drawbar on the trailer. And you need a grinder to get through them. And even then it's a task.

Another deterrent is track everything. Great for the insurance but also because you get your stuff back. We had two quad bikes stolen. They were hidden well but the trackers and a police chopper found them the same day!

I had an idea a few years ago which was basically something which operated like one of those bollards which drop into the ground, I was going to manufacture a post that lifts hydraulically out of the ground from a switch inside the workshop.

You park up your trailer and the a frame is positioned over the bollard which rises up through the a frame or it could be positioned to rise up under the trailer between axles if it was a heavy trailer that couldn't be lifted.

My trailer was always loaded as it was an exhibition unit so the bollard would have been raised up underneath between axles and would have been impossible to move

It's a dead easy thing to manufacture with a bit of engineering knowledge, two very heavy guage steel tubes, a small hydraulic ram and one of those portable hydraulic packs, or for cheapness even a hand operated hydraulic pump

I like that idea, only thing is it may just end up doing damage to the trailer when they try and pull it out.

As for the wheelnuts idea, I know 'someone' that did this then forgot to tighten them again....

I always think the main thing is to slow them down/make sure that your stuff appears to be harder to get hold of than someone elses. ie two houses one with a new looking alarm, one with a knackered one, whats going to be the target.

If they want your stuff they'll get it we've just got to make it as hard as we can for them, and make sure we're adequately insured/have a contingency plan if the worst happens.

R

I like that idea, only thing is it may just end up doing damage to the trailer when they try and pull it out.

It wont if its in the a frame because they'll see it and if it's between axles you would just roll the trailer forward till the axle touches the bollard.

In my example, damage to the trailer would be better than losing £30k in stock or having to replace a mewp at around £45K :001_smile: