BBC Watchdog - tonight

AA Teccie (Paul)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did he do the job there and then in a single visit with his crew with him upon turning up to price the job?

Or was it edited?

I don't know.

If it was in one hit' date=' then yeah, £180 is steep.

Dave, I don't like his tactics either, as I previously stated.

Personally, I try to get as much detail from the initial contact to decide if its worth my while making an effort to go and specially look at something.

If its a little job like that I look at it on the way home, or whatever, too.

The Beeb were trying to lure this particular man in to make a TV show.

Again we don't know, but ....

He [b']might[/b] have driven for 45 mins in some crap traffic at the end of the day to look at the three 'BIG' conifers in a rear garden,that were described by a layman over the phone and then seeing the job, given a take it or leave it price to maybe make his time worthwhile.

I was merely pointing out the economics of what could have been the case.

I have not said whether I think his price for the small conifers was acceptable or not in the circumstances I described.

Wasn't the job in London? London work requires London rates, as you say just getting from A-B in London is a job on its own, this job might of cost him half a day, he might of ended up out of pocket that day,the times I have been called out to a ''big'' tree in my garden, for it to be nothing more than an overgrown bush.

I once charged a man £80+vat [min charge] for a fallen tree in his garden, one cut, 20 second drag to chipper, cheque please, job took less than 5 mins site time, do I regret taking his money, err nope!

Edited by Lee Winger

spot on,

what people don't see is the hidden costs, the wages, insurance bill, machinery maintenance and replacement, fuel, yard rent, etc....

Are you being serious did you see the programe?

the bloke proberly didnt pay insurance

the machinery is probery nicked

and his yard is proberly were his house is.

Ok im being very presumptus there but ill ask the question again did you see the bloke who everyone is on about?

:confused1:So now you think his work is quality??????????:confused1:

....er no,

what im saying is, if u are using a quality Arb Association approved contractor (as he claimed to be), then they can price what they think the job is worth and the customer is not abliged to accept.

....er no,

what im saying is, if u are using a quality Arb Association approved contractor (as he claimed to be), then they can price what they think the job is worth and the customer is not abliged to accept.

But the arguement on here is tha he is not an AA contractor just a phoney and his work was of poor quality etc and the price was to high or not to high as ohers have said.

Are you being serious did you see the programe?

the bloke proberly didnt pay insurance

the machinery is probery nicked

and his yard is proberly were his house is.

Ok im being very presumptus there but ill ask the question again did you see the bloke who everyone is on about?

Or maybe hard work paid for it! perhaps if more tree firms charged similar rates to this bloke, they'd have decent kit instead of the usual cr@p you see on the road

Or maybe hard work paid for it! perhaps if more tree firms charged similar rates to this bloke, they'd have decent kit instead of the usual cr@p you see on the road

Yeah ok after reading my original post maybe it was very presumptious of me to say that and if I'm wrong I'll apologise but I guess we are never going to find out.

Yeah ok after reading my original post maybe it was very presumptious of me to say that and if I'm wrong I'll apologise but I guess we are never going to find out.

I'll tell you one thing if you charged the rates mentioned by the ''expert'' you wouldn't have kit like his.........

Rubbish!!!!!!!!!!!

I turn up in £100K of kit and don't need to rip people off to pay for it!!