Ocean polyester

Ian Flatters

i have used both the op and armour prus and prefer the op over the armour prus, not sure what the fascination is with it but it isnt all its cracked up to be, or though saying that it would make excellent footlock strops. i would say personally i would go onto op and let it bed in but this is only for vt i cannot vouch for another knot.

hows the rope stu, why the choice, is it better on the hands with the larger diameter.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have used both the op and armour prus and prefer the op over the armour prus, not sure what the fascination is with it but it isnt all its cracked up to be, or though saying that it would make excellent footlock strops. i would say personally i would go onto op and let it bed in but this is only for vt i cannot vouch for another knot.

hows the rope stu, why the choice, is it better on the hands with the larger diameter.

Not saying OP is bad at all Jarnii, but for me it took a while to bed in on a VT where AP was spot on straight off the reel.

I think different body weights and climbing styles play a big part in which rope/hitch cord combo suits each individual.

Having a play when there is no money at stake is the best way to test new stuff. New hitch slipping over a greenhouse isn't that great!

i completely agree with you mark and especially the greenhouse statement, i just found with the ap it didnt have the longevity of the op, the ap tended to gunk up quick and not really work to well after a month or two and would need a reconfigure x's and braid variations to be specific but i found that the op would be ok and would need the courtious touch up to get the right length to start with and then a tinker when it had been used to set it again once it had been worn for a week or so.

i also strongly agree with the bit about weight its something i never think about when doing my hitch's but is always in my mind about how what works for others is no good for me because im heavier or lighter than others.

sounds like a good investment stu, now just have to find a way to pack that into the rest of the gear bag. have you tried the TM larger line at all? i dont know how this would fair for a shorter line.

I have found that adding or taking wraps off on different rope diam's & constructions helps along with re dressing some knots lots during the first few climbs. Not the way it should be though! I guess this is one price to pay for a friction line with high heat tolerance?!

I use it on N,E tachion with a hitchclimber & knut with 4 wraps of 8mm ocean, I find after a good stint of footlocking the knut opens up & needs an eye on it to re dress which is 2nd nature now.

I use some marlow 10mm cord on a short line with the same knot & H,C on blaze as I have found ocean a nightmare on this line! however it burns out real quick if used faster!

Hope I'm not repiting anyone as I hav'nt read through the post yet..This is all my own findings & I expect alot of differance in peoples reactions to the use of this cord..Sounds like after 3 months of trial & error you may have made your mind up though?

• 1 month later...