FreeLance Climber.

Johnboe522

I agree with the posts that follow this. As a business owner there is nothing worst then getting somebody call up and oversell themselves.

I had a guy a month or so ago call me, i called him back and he went to great lengths to tell me how quickly he can rig out masive wellingtonias !!

Of course you do...you would be a poor employer if a climber who came to you and described his experience as nominal if he then told you porkies...obvious. But if you had some kid come to you giving off total shy, dont even talk to me , no I'm scared s***less anyway vibes you wouldnt even read the resume/answer the call....A lack of confidence endears you to no-one IMO.

7 months part time climbing and you gonna get duped are ya'....(?)Or maybe you wanna use the employee for a BIG t/d...I agree in principle with what your sayingbut I believe in encouraging people in their ideas too....OK!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they sounded good on the phone you'd get them in for a trial on a not so critical job before using them on a tight one. If they are full of the big I am on the phone i won't deal with them.

I prefer somebody who quietly gets on with it rather than shouting about it.

You can give of a confident persona and not be shouty in my opinion.

Honesty is the best policy... nothing worse than overselling yourself and then finding your in over your head. I would be honest on the phone to companies... or as others have said build up your speed and skillset by working for a larger company as an employer and use you own kit for a few private jobs that may come along. Good luck either way. :icon14:

Hi Johnboe,

you have very little experience really but I don`t think that needs to be a problem.

Reliable, honest and attentive to what every one else is doing on a job. Always on the look out for what you can do to help get every job finished efficiently.

If you can help out on the ground, climb suitable trees when needed and turn your truck into a chip-box you will be worth more than £80 a day and always have work.

Experience in a trade or skill apparently takes about 7 years or 10,000 hours. Working for a few different firms self employed will get you there no problem. Good luck.

Absolutely mate...and make out you are some kind of kick ass climber...it never pays to undersell yourself believe me!

...Reliable, honest and attentive to what every one else is doing on a job. Always on the look out for what you can do to help get every job finished efficiently.

Good luck.

I have seen plenty of self proclaimed "kick ass" climbers and none get invited back. You just cant BS your way through this job. Sensible negociation of rates works best. If you exceed expectations a decent employer would bump you up a few quid.

I have seen plenty of self proclaimed "kick ass" climbers and none get invited back. You just cant BS your way through this job. Sensible negociation of rates works best. If you exceed expectations a decent employer would bump you up a few quid.

Spot on!!!!!!!!!!!!:congrats::shakehands:

I am about to start work as a freelance climber, after leaving the RAF and was wondering what is the best way to get up and running?

I have my CS 30,31,38,39 my own climbing rig, Saws and truck and a little experience (part time work climbing for seven months)

Thanks JB

JB, honestly mate, I wouldn't. Freelance climbing, whether you charge 80 or 180, you have to be able make an impact on whichever companies employ you.

Being an honest, nice guy and all is great, but the figures have to add up at the end of the day....and the margins are usually still pretty tight in this industry.

Whether you're topping conifers or doing large removals, efficiency is everything.... obviously safety goes with out saying....and any contract climbers' who believe and tell you otherwise are probably out of work themselves and wondering why.

Not ideal, but its the truth. I just think your asking too much of yourself so early on in your career. Only 7 months part time, that's like running before you can even crawl. Too dangerous!

However, with your tickets, equipment and especially a truck, you could probably charge 100-140 as a general treeworker, plus whatever jobs you get of your own. Build up your overall experience, contacts and client-base, but without the expectations/pressure. Give it a couple of years and you could be in a really good position.

Good luck whatever you decide though:icon14: