My New Bike…

John Hancock

Yes Stevie, everything is much smoother on a decent bike, Im not as well up on them as the likes of John and Mick BUT the difference when i bought my posh mountain bike 18 months ago (the one i sold abit ago) was immense mate.

Maybe someone will explain it better :blushing::lol:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

as a kid i lived on my bike, like most of us i guess, i used to have a cracking mountain bike but sold it to pay a bill when i was younger, i do have another mountain bike but i never liked it, its got the suspension and stuff and its a small frame. Its a muddy fox, was £400 8 years ago, but i just dot like it. i was in a bike shop yesterday and soooo wanted to buy a new bike, it was made by the gods i reckon, it was £2500 down to £1500. It looked amazing, i could actually just sit it in my living room and look at it all day, so my rambling point is, does a really good bike make much diference in the enjoyment of riding it?? i know i THINK it looks great, but would it be a pleasure to ride?:001_smile:

It does and it doesn’t mate. I get my enjoyment out of the whole ‘bike experience’ – the research into the frame, the components, the wheels, and the actual purchasing of the thing, and then the ride.

The frame on this one was actually a compromise, I would have loved a Merlin but they were just that little but too expensive. This should ride the same and have more or less the same feel on the road – just wont have the ‘label’.

Personally I wouldn’t enjoy riding a £500 bike as much as riding a £2000 bike, even though the £500 one is probably just as fast and agile but maybe just a little bit heavier. I guess we all work hard and enjoy seeing the fruits now and again! :001_smile:

DSC_0518.jpg.4607bf3092c843e6d02fab7f77de71e5.jpg

DSC_0512.jpg.f26bc3b239ca7c2b6a64bdd1b4280bfd.jpg

Stevie hi, like Mozza said everything's much smoother, components/frame wheels etc are lighter/stronger/stiffer, it all makes a difference to the efficiency of the power you apply, which is why full suspension is so inefficient, so much energy is absorbed by the suspension.

Road bikes are more efficient again due to stiffness/lightness and you can usually get into a better tuck to reduce wind resistance.

Hope that helps abit:thumbup:

Sorry John didn't see your reply,that's quality thu and thru, titanium with an ultegra groupset, awesome:thumbup:

Titanium with mudguards no less!! Lol

I’ve got a Ti mountain bike and just like the ride and feel, plus it won’t ever rust and is near impossible to scratch. I’m off to see the kiddies now (no ice creams for them today, cant afford them!), catch you later.. :001_smile:

i like your passion John, i do enjoy looking in my driveway and seeing my vans and jeep. I like nice stuff aswell. Ian thanks for the reply. I have always been a magpie, if it looks good i want it, but that doesnt always mean its good. I think a bit of research may be the answer. I have always been too busy to jump on a bike and cycle since i was 20, but now i have chilled out a bit and enjoy the slower pace of my life i think a good bike is the answer, especially where i stay. I do like mountain bikes though.

Titanium with mudguards no less!! Lol

I’ve got a Ti mountain bike and just like the ride and feel, plus it won’t ever rust and is near impossible to scratch. I’m off to see the kiddies now (no ice creams for them today, cant afford them!), catch you later.. :001_smile:

you tight git, 2k bike and a rolex and bread and water for the kids:sneaky2::laugh1:

i like your passion John, i do enjoy looking in my driveway and seeing my vans and jeep. I like nice stuff aswell. Ian thanks for the reply. I have always been a magpie, if it looks good i want it, but that doesnt always mean its good. I think a bit of research may be the answer. I have always been too busy to jump on a bike and cycle since i was 20, but now i have chilled out a bit and enjoy the slower pace of my life i think a good bike is the answer, especially where i stay. I do like mountain bikes though.

Definately a mountain bike up your way mate, get up into the hills, my wife's from Dundee and whenever we're up seeing family i can't help think how much fun it would be to get a bike up onto empty mountains, awesome scenery as you know only too well.

Nothing wrong in liking nice stuff, we all deserve rewards for grafting i reckon, makes life that bit more pleasureable:thumbup: