Waste Transfer Licence

bareroots

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you were to have a skip at your yard and allowed people to bring rubbish to your yard and put it in it, then got the skip company to come and collect it, then you would need a waste transfer license. I think. I dont care.

If you are carrying all arisings back to your yard for recycling, then surely thats whole different kettle of fish.

Edited by Frank

Problem is we are not being rewarded!

I can charge more a day to leave stuff on site than I can to remove arisings. And tree work is high profit and haulage is low profit. So I charge less a day to make less % profit!

Leave on site is where its at. If your truck is not full you can stay longer and do more tree work and make more money. Emptying the truck is down time that costs more than work time!

We need to be doing far less haulage, unless we can make money from the product, which therefore means its not waste so no need for wcl. You see, round and round in circles.

I see it different mate.

I charge more for brash and timber removal than I do to carry out the tree work in the sense that it takes longer to remove the arisings than it does to create them.

If I only concentrated on the tree work I wouldnt make a penny since I'm not exactly inundated with work.

Plus if they do want me to remove any 'waste' then I can with my WCL and charge them as I would hourly for tree work plus the expense of tipping the waste.

All the expense of my business is converting waste brash and timber(well it is just waste when its in a big pile in the garden) into a recyclable product then moving it.:thumbup1:

Grass em up and get rid of the competition :laugh1:

Narr I'm just going to start shooting them instead.:thumbup:

Yes i see what you mean. In my case I also charge more for removal, but once my truck is full thats work over till its empty, whereas if its leave on site I can carry on doing tree work all day and end up earning more.

PLus my tree work skills (or lack of) are piad for already, but the truck is a consatant expense, so the profit on tree work can be higher.

For example 4 trees to dismantle. 450 each to remove from site, each one take two journey to the yard but easily done in a day. So thats 450 a day using two journeys in a truck.

Or same trees 250 each to leave on site, get 2 done a day chipped and wood stacked, and only one journey in the truck.

Thats more money a day for less outlay, so higher profit margin?

Of course the removal nets you more in total but its spreads the timescale massively and reducied % profit, but this can be made up late if you sell the wood etc.

But whatever works, we all do a bit of every type of job and it all helps. I just use the "non recyclable" card to get me out of taking garden wast etc. Once tha tis on my truck I cant fit in another job until its empty, and I tip chips and logs in different places so I only want one product on my truck at once if possible.

For example 4 trees to dismantle. 450 each to remove from site, each one take two journey to the yard but easily done in a day. So thats 450 a day using two journeys in a truck.

Or same trees 250 each to leave on site, get 2 done a day chipped and wood stacked, and only one journey in the truck.

Thats more money a day for less outlay, so higher profit margin?

Just do what I do and work close to your yard.

1st Job today was about 300 yards from the yard and second job was about 500 yards

Its rare I spend more than 20 minute round trip to empty and even then I just send my groundy or I'll tip whilst he clears up.

Streamlining is the answer or buy two yards, one at eithr side of town

Yes often I am very close, of course that all gets factord in amd every job is different. I know though that a leave on site will be a better day rate most of the time, but less gross income of course.

Another truck woudl be handy in many cases.