quoteing tiny jobs

testcricket01

went out to quote a job today. got there went look at it its tiny yew tree probs 20ft high 10ft wide they want it felled, alleyway is access drive right up along side it. so i was thinking really i dont want price it more than 50quid is fair for it. but realistically ive gotta pay for my time drive to go look at it and back, ive got to then write out the quote etc. then actually go do the job and all in im either gunna lose money on it or price it cover my self and not get the job.

so what do you guys do with little jobs like this????

normally id wait till i had loads of little ones and do them all in one hit but this is the only job round that area atm.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How urgent is it that the job is done? If they can wait, tell them that you'll do it for £50 next time you're passing and not charge for the travelling, or if its urgent, you can give them a proper price. (Sounds dodgey, but you know what I mean).

They'll probably appreciate you being honest with them.

went out to quote a job today. got there went look at it its tiny yew tree probs 20ft high 10ft wide they want it felled, alleyway is access drive right up along side it. so i was thinking really i dont want price it more than 50quid is fair for it. but realistically ive gotta pay for my time drive to go look at it and back, ive got to then write out the quote etc. then actually go do the job and all in im either gunna lose money on it or price it cover my self and not get the job.

so what do you guys do with little jobs like this????

normally id wait till i had loads of little ones and do them all in one hit but this is the only job round that area atm.

No point pricing it low just to get it, if it means you wont make any money out of it, if you do get it. Or even worse lose money on it.

Your competition are in the same position as you mate, I'd price it as you would any other job. You must have an hourly rate you work to when pricing.

I personally wouldn't include quoting time in the price but all the time from when I got there to do the job, to the time I got back to the yard would be included.

Only time to price really low is to get a job that will lead to more work but even that is often foolish. Especially if the additional work isn't guaranteed.

they want it doing this week, its holiday home there only here this week. i gave him price 100quid he accepted, least im covering my costs.

Its all good then. If you are covering your costs and its work in an area where you dont usually work, you can consider it as a bit of advertising in the local area. Maybe you could do a bit of leafleting of the neighbours while you are there.:thumbup1:

i go pricing in my van with all my kit in it and the little chipper, i will do it there and then' leave the chip in an appropriate place and usually take the logs or leave them stacked.

i did a similar one today, little holy. if i didnt have gloria it would of been an easy 100m drag and tidy. i was in and out in an hour, the customer was delighted with my efficiency. i filled his 3 brown bins and took the timber and sweepings. £100 job done.

i go pricing in my van with all my kit in it and the little chipper, i will do it there and then' leave the chip in an appropriate place and usually take the logs or leave them stacked.

i did a similar one today, little holy. if i didnt have gloria it would of been an easy 100m drag and tidy. i was in and out in an hour, the customer was delighted with my efficiency. i filled his 3 brown bins and took the timber and sweepings. £100 job done.

if i had my saw i probs would have thought about doing it, and trying to cram it in the boot of my new astra but id feel abit of a idiot doing that :lol: