Footlocking

Steve Bullman

Footlocking will mess your body up in the long term. It is just not not a natural thing for our bones, joints, tendons, muscles to do. If you are going to then at least swap from your dominant side of assent for those situations that you feel you have more time on the job...This was a message I listened to a long time ago from an (I think at the time a world renowned foot lock champion, Paulio B) & something that weighed in my mind as heavy & worth carrying..Their are plenty of arbs out their so I hear that have huge skeletal problems due to to prolonged foot locking stress issues upon parts of their bodys.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's wrong with just holding your line on top of your right boot, bring right boot up hold rope on top of left boot with bottom of right and stand up. No knots, no tying line off, no shiny gadgets simple.

Nothing wrong with it... you have just described footlocking.

Unless your competing in ISA comps then like Danavan has rightly put I don't see the benefit in foot locking commercially, longterm it could possibly ruin you. I've worked with one of the best footlockers in the world commercially he uses srt, only foot locking when the comps come up.

Hopefully ISA will one day get rid of this event.

Although I do footlock the tail of my line for short ascents in the tree so learning to footlock has some advantage especially a good technique trying to keep your back straight which means not getting maximum extension, and your body as close to the line as possible.

If you're young fit and wanting to learn the ins and outs of the industry then footlocking is a very great skill to have , i dont want to get my rope walker out for a 12 meter ascent. Secured footlocking has its place and our whole job is hard on the body.

I am no king footlocker but once you get the technique down its very useful.

i throw lines in for most of my trees.

8-15 meters i will foot lock, and anything more, the rope walker (sometimes less if my body is feeling lazy)

I have worked with guys back in nz that dont footlock because they cant be bothered and i suspect because its difficult and physically hard when you start learning.

the message i am trying to get across is directed at new arbs who are starting to get into climbing and looking for new things to learn and reading through these threads and being put off by the negativity towards it . Learn how to foot lock !!!!! its a great skill and makes life easier , its also a great challenge .

OK guys Rant over :thumbup:

Footlocking will mess your body up in the long term. It is just not not a natural thing for our bones, joints, tendons, muscles to do. If you are going to then at least swap from your dominant side of assent for those situations that you feel you have more time on the job...This was a message I listened to a long time ago from an (I think at the time a world renowned foot lock champion, Paulio B) & something that weighed in my mind as heavy & worth carrying..Their are plenty of arbs out their so I hear that have huge skeletal problems due to to prolonged foot locking stress issues upon parts of their bodys.

That must have been a very long time ago then!!

Paulo did do a lot of work and research into long term effects of footlocking and tree work in general, along with his treeflex harness that had mixed reviews and fortunes.

Tree work is generally hard on the body, and imbalances are found in many things, footlocking is a minor part of that IMO although it is tough on elbows, but srt can be tough there aswell.

In my experience using a medium/large saw on the ground is the worst thing you can do for your body as a whole as its such an imbalanced posture (it can be improved if your sensible) so work as a whole can be bad, and stretching and other excersise can re balance all these issues, so footlocking on its own should not be seen as bad for you. IMO that is.

I have seen Beddes climb using alternate left and right locks on his footlocking but the man is not normal. I couldnt footlock left footed if my life depended on it!!

If you're young fit and wanting to learn the ins and outs of the industry then footlocking is a very great skill to have , i dont want to get my rope walker out for a 12 meter ascent. Secured footlocking has its place and our whole job is hard on the body.

I am no king footlocker but once you get the technique down its very useful.

i throw lines in for most of my trees.

8-15 meters i will foot lock, and anything more, the rope walker (sometimes less if my body is feeling lazy)

I have worked with guys back in nz that dont footlock because they cant be bothered and i suspect because its difficult and physically hard when you start learning.

the message i am trying to get across is directed at new arbs who are starting to get into climbing and looking for new things to learn and reading through these threads and being put off by the negativity towards it . Learn how to foot lock !!!!! its a great skill and makes life easier , its also a great challenge .

OK guys Rant over :thumbup:

:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

I guess it's one of those things that divide opinion, I would reccomend learning foot locking as a skill but would not suggest it as a long term solution to access. SRT for access there are even strange people that use it to work position is something I'd always push over foot locking to those looking for new skills.

If you're that worried about the long term effects on your body then this industry as a whole can take its toll. Its the use of varied techniques (i.e. footlocking on a long ascent as opposed to thrusting up) that can help prevent repetitive wear on the most used joints. Footlocking over a large distance uses a much larger muscle group then body thrusting, which can absolutely shag your elbows.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPL_PrcGII0]Ropewalker setup with hitch climber pulley SRT to DRT in a snap - YouTube[/ame]

As for my question, this shows someone using a single line with a vt hitch on a hitchclimber. It seems to work okay, though I don't fancy buying two ascenders and a chest harness. perhaps a soft link to move the hc above you and a neck loop to keep it there could work with footlocking?

If I get a chance at work when there's not too much pressure I'll give it a shot and post feedback later.

Their are alot of ropewalking options out their to choose from JNewton & the one you highlight is one I haven't given a go so can't comment. If you get a chance also look for some different systems that are talked about on this forum & if you have the kit or can make one up from you & your friends, then give it a go..

I think along with footlocking, srt for access can be hard at first to get muscle memory in tune with. But some perseverance with both tec's will pay off in the long run imo. The more varied the tec's you use week to week the better all round for your body in the long term.

I think the answer is to, (as has been pointed out by people before me) to learn footlocking & other tec's to add to our every day/week climbing tec's & apply them at the appropriate times during our climbs. The point is as I took in years ago that exactly. As someone pointed out they have watched someone footlock with alternate sides & that is an ideal alot of us won't reach (even though we should) look at snow boarders for example, they manage to swap tec's regularly but favor one dominant side..

Look fwd to your feed back JNewton:thumbup1: