ultimate muscle building energy healthy breakfast

Stephen Blair

i used to labour and dig coal for a living, go to the gym and do a lot of running, but when i first started doing full time tree work i would collapse into bed at 10pm and sleep like a baby, i doubled my food intake and water intake with in the first week. I worked in a 5 man squad and i was the tree rat, climbing is a diferent type of fitness, especially as a newbie with fear and only a prussik loop in your bag of tricks, i would take a few t shirts and swap them throught he day as i was sweating so much. now i find if i get fit for my work it is a lot easier and keeps injury down, but i am not a full time climber, i probably average a couple of hours a week in a harness now. But the longer you do it the less climbing you need to do in a tree, and the new more efficient techniques make a massive diference

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk of healthy food is giving me the munchies. Some of you guys really take care of yourselves don't you!

My cardio usually consists of walking to the van in the morning. Then the weights start when I get out and have to move a pallet or two of blocks. By that time I'm pretty knackered so I drop by the kabab van for my protein hit. I'll plod on for the rest of the day doing fairly heavy work, mixing concrete and moving more slabs/blocks. When I get home I pig out on whatever I can find. Cold meat, fruit or museli and I drink too much milk (I'm like a baby for milk!). As for running... No thanks! Not unless I've got some big meat head chasing me!

Last time I went for a check up with the doctor he did the blood pressure and pulse thing and asked me if I worked out?! I nearly fell over laughing but he recons it's fairly fit people who have perfect blood pressure and a slow but strong heart rate? I thought I was overweight and heading for a heart attack but I guess I must be doing something right! :lol:

On a serious note I could do with shedding a few pounds. If I'm going to be doing a climbing course I don't want to go snapping my rope! Fat is my downfall, I eat too much butter and I just can't turn down a good curry!

I eat...LOTS!

I have a very sweet tooth and dont really watch what i eat. If i didnt climb id be huge, climbing, and tree work in general keeps me fit. Which is one reson i dont go to the gym.

250 miles a week is some going . I was always under the impression that because no heavy impact was been put on your knees they would be ok . But hey 250 miles is a lot of wear and tear . Do you use any fish oils or anything similar for your joints :thumbup:

I dont take supplements anymore, I used to buy this that and the other but tbh I forget to take them.

Funny you say that. I did have a go at getting up a rather large tree once. Can't remember what it was, I think a Poplar but I'm not sure. Anyway I pulled my rope up with a throw line and brought it back to myself. Didn't have much spare rope so it must have been 40' or so. I climbed right up to the branch I'd put the rope over and I was so knackered I had to hang there in the harness for a few minutes before I could do anything. I was shaking and burning so much I thought I was going to pass out!

A few months ago that lad I mentioned earlier had to do the same sort of climb. He went up the rope like a monkey, did the job and was back down in probably the same time it took me to get up there. He was hardly breathing heavily when he got down. Madness!

I don't mind admitting it, I'm an over weight ground worker!