ultimate muscle building energy healthy breakfast

Stephen Blair

doesn,t matter what you eat if you don't squat till you drop you won't get really strong.

Yeah you gotta do legs otherwise you'll look like a 400m wheel chair champion. I bet you think different in years to come when your knee's are shagged. I dont push legs as hard as I used to but I bet I'm as strong as you at 48yr old.

How old are you Martyn?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stevie, as most have mentioned protein is good, its slow burning which avoids the highs and lows of fueling yourself on carbs ( sugars ) good fats are also important for a balanced diet. In winter I eat rolled oats, protein powder, pumkin seeds and flax and an oil supplement for breakfast, I also make cookies out of the same mix for when I am running late. Then make sure most meals contain some protein. Avoid sugary drinks, sweets etc. all the stuff that has no real food value.

Easiest thing is to stick to foods that you can tell what they are made of and are not highly processed, if you read the label and don't know what some of the ingredients are, or worse cannot even pronounce the name, do you really want to be putting it in your body.

A good diet does wonders for your performance and mood, eating right will overcome mood swings and drops in energy and help you to be more balanced mentally and physically. It amazes me how many lads fuel there bodies on redbull, chocolate and crisps and then moan that they are knackered all the time.

Yeah you gotta do legs otherwise you'll look like a 400m wheel chair champion. I bet you think different in years to come when your knee's are shagged. I dont push legs as hard as I used to but I bet I'm as strong as you at 48yr old.

How old are you Martyn?

Ive done lots of heavy squatting in the past and my knees do tend to hurt . I know your a keen cyclist has this affected your knees ?:001_smile: I,m with ya on those tins of makerel :lol:

thanks woodplans, i eat very well but i think at the wrong times, and i am bad for going hungry because i couldnt be bothered making something, but my fod knowledge is poor, my wifes makes my stuff, but in the morning she has enough to do with the boys. i like the sound of your cookies. if i had a box of them in my van to rely on that would be great,i buy cereal bars but most of them have chocolate in them.

Ive done lots of heavy squatting in the past and my knees do tend to hurt . I know your a keen cyclist has this affected your knees ?:001_smile: I,m with ya on those tins of makerel :lol:

Yeah the cycling has ruined my left knee but only cos I bought a saddle that was manufactured wrong and had the rails set off centre. When I bought it I was in my prime at 28 and doing 250 miles a week plus racing on a Sunday.....Oh well what's done is done and now I have to limit myself to the gym which is way easier than cycling.

wasn't martyn1`the guy complaining about sore knees a few months back. i've been training for ten years now to optimise my climbing, still slight in build though but fit and in proportion. done lots of right and wrong things, but learnt whats right for me. i disagree with master blaster 90 mins is not over training. especially if you only go 2-3 times a week. no point body building as your body returns to its preferred shape quite quickly after time away from the gym, leaving you with knackered joints. still must push yourself in the gym. variety is the key. it is important to include cardio into your work out as most of the time work or recreational walking doesn't raise your heart to a high enough level to train it(cardio is what you seem to notice more so over weight training, for heightened energy levels throughout the day). and if time is an issue do super sets where you do situps or something during rest periods between reps. you can do a 8 minute yoga routine in the morning at home, for the core the back and the rest. you don't have to go to classes. protein shakes are the quickest and simplest way of delivering your body what it needs. rather than hunting in the fridge for sugary and fatty stuff for what your body desires. and finally if your peckish between breaks snack on nuts. simple and full of goodness. phew what a rant

Yeah the cycling has ruined my left knee but only cos I bought a saddle that was manufactured wrong and had the rails set off centre. When I bought it I was in my prime at 28 and doing 250 miles a week plus racing on a Sunday.....Oh well what's done is done and now I have to limit myself to the gym which is way easier than cycling.

250 miles a week is some going . I was always under the impression that because no heavy impact was been put on your knees they would be ok . But hey 250 miles is a lot of wear and tear . Do you use any fish oils or anything similar for your joints :thumbup:

All this talk of healthy food is giving me the munchies. Some of you guys really take care of yourselves don't you!

My cardio usually consists of walking to the van in the morning. Then the weights start when I get out and have to move a pallet or two of blocks. By that time I'm pretty knackered so I drop by the kabab van for my protein hit. I'll plod on for the rest of the day doing fairly heavy work, mixing concrete and moving more slabs/blocks. When I get home I pig out on whatever I can find. Cold meat, fruit or museli and I drink too much milk (I'm like a baby for milk!). As for running... No thanks! Not unless I've got some big meat head chasing me!

Last time I went for a check up with the doctor he did the blood pressure and pulse thing and asked me if I worked out?! I nearly fell over laughing but he recons it's fairly fit people who have perfect blood pressure and a slow but strong heart rate? I thought I was overweight and heading for a heart attack but I guess I must be doing something right! :lol:

On a serious note I could do with shedding a few pounds. If I'm going to be doing a climbing course I don't want to go snapping my rope! Fat is my downfall, I eat too much butter and I just can't turn down a good curry!