New to the forum.

njc110381

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By rights a ms200 should only be used on handed when it is not possible to use it two handed, ie when fastened by rope and harness at the very extremity of the tree, when you are reaching out away from yourself.

It should not be used on the ground at all, one or two handed.

howdy, you sound like you are self taught, i was aswell pretty much. i never held climbing tickets for over 10 years while i ran my business, never got around to it and no one ever asked, they just presumed. BUT when i did my climbing tickets last year i was blown away when an experienced guy showed me diferent ways to do the same thing thta i just hadnt thought of, i even went to a show last year and found out i had been using my strop wrong all that time, and it is made up of 1 bit of rope and a prussik loop lol. You dont sound like a bad guy, you are an honest hard worker willing to learn. take some time to look through the video forum and be prepared to be amazed at what some of the guys on here can do. I think if you spent a day with the right guy you would learn so much. I hope you have the correct safety trousers and boots while you are doing this, i have a gardener mate that has worn jeans for years and only buys huge saws, he will never change, doesnt make him any safer though. as far as the top handle and ladder NO!!!!!!plane and simple, if you are just doing small stuff, then buy a pole pruner, but learn correct pruning cuts first. you dont have to, you can just batter on the way you are and you might be ok, but you obviously have a passion for trees, so embrace it and step up to the plate and be willing to listen and learn, which you have proved already.:thumbup1:

Oh right. So really I have no use for it at all at the minute! I'll bung it to the back of the shed and look for a little saw in that case. What are the MS200s like with the back handle or are they over priced for what they are? I looked at the low range Huskys but wonder how long they would last? They look ok?

I don't want to get rid of the 660, I love that saw! But I can see that I need something else for light pruning. So I'm open to suggestions. :thumbup1:

the big saw is great for logging mate, as far as small pruning is concerned most of us learned with a silky handsaw, i use mine as much as possible, 6-8" stems are not a problem, and you learn how wood works if you know what i mean, £35 usually does the job and then replacement blades are about £20. and a stihl 026 is the best ground saw i think

no more ladders mozza, he has a harness and his height fear will keep him safe.

Oh i missed the harness bit, Cool, if hes already got a harness then the next step is the climbing course :thumbup1:

Masses to learn and it will help with fear of height :001_cool:

I use a little Silky on small stuff already if I don't have to do many cuts. When it comes to topping a hedge though and you've got say 30-40 6" trunks to get through and to trim up for the chipper I just can't afford to spend the time (or the energy for that matter) hand sawing that lot! I've got to use a chainsaw!

Steve. When I left school I did over a year with a company that did work for the local wildlife trust and also private contracting (of which the profits went to the trust). I worked with two climbers as the ground guy, sending stuff up to them, filling saws, general dragging stuff out of the way. I didn't use a chainsaw there but spent that much time watching them that I have a good idea (although they never used gaffs in all the time I was there and always climber their ropes?). Now I have a good selection of kit in a huge bag. Felling bars, wedges, harness, gaffs, ropes, prussiks, safety clothing and first aid kit etc. I've just never gone for the climbing ticket because I hate heights! I love my chainsaw work but I just don't know if I could climb. To me if I'm too busy worrying about being that far in the air then I'm not thinking 100% about what I'm doing with the saw and that's no good.

EDIT... Perhaps some climbing without a saw for a while could be the answer?

Oh right. So really I have no use for it at all at the minute! I'll bung it to the back of the shed and look for a little saw in that case. What are the MS200s like with the back handle or are they over priced for what they are? I looked at the low range Huskys but wonder how long they would last? They look ok?

I don't want to get rid of the 660, I love that saw! But I can see that I need something else for light pruning. So I'm open to suggestions. :thumbup1:

Cant buy the MS200 now but are good saws from what i have heard.