health and safety a controversial subject?

no fiugres i'm afraid but 10's in the tree and 10's on the floor. Boot cuts on the floor are predominantly on the toe and those in the tree on the heel, outstep & less commonly the instep. Ive known 100's of people catch their trousers in the tree. Good positioning can prevent these accidents 99% of the time & there is a good argument that if you wern't wearing protection u'd be far more cautious & avoid cutting so close to yourself etc. Not sure its a v contoversial argument mind, the latest HSE guidence makes type C trousers in the tree subject to RA.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of those nicks that you've seen (that weren't through to the protection) were done "in the tree". What statistics and numbers do you have?

ive got a few scuffs in my tirols, i wouldnt swap my heavey boots, can jam my feet in a fork and feel nothing! my brother in law hacked half way through his foot in hiking booots.

Just to add a few topics that some find controversial:

1. The use and true safety of chainsaw gloves. when wet the most lethal things to hold a saw with!

2. Chainsaw trousers in hot weather.

3. "In house" training as opposed to proper nptc certs in particular woodchipper.

I am with Rupe on this and can not see how you class rigging as controversial???

Umm controversial health and safty??

controversial = 1.of, subject to, or stirring up controversy; debatable

umm from any one persons pont of view could be any thing....... a hint pic subject based on what you know is out there in resurch as you could pic the most interesting thing and end up with only experiensial and conjecture and you wont get a pss for that.

i would argue rigging leads to most injuries in tree work, on reported accidents i would say the clear winner is one handed use of chainsaw in tree........ left arm and chest ohhh always had 2 near us in the last 4 weeks that ive herd about both very serious, both the climber admitted bad work position one handed use.

i see streams of climbers with scars to left for arm, one handed use. now to what extent shoud the best practice of two hands be enforced to prevent this.??? these oen

not health and saftey but a pet hate of mine ' the role LA officers have in driving down quality vs cost' to meet political pressure as opposed to altering regiems to protect cutters rights and pay, but no politicalpopularity???

hse wise how about random drugs and alchole testing, freind or foe, in the world of utility arb on the rail and the power networks we have it, seen 3 lads go through failing the test..... do you think its good or bad.

or hears another one.....' i think the work at height regs have done a good job and should be more thoughtly enforced, as they have driven best practice reviews and stimulated manufacturers to come up with new cost effichent inovitive answers to access problems' i love things like that

as an aside and to prove my point when i was doing my HE qualification as a teacher id did my final dis. on 'Modern First Aid Training & how casulty, 999 and other reality EMed programmes have affected it'

that was fun

cheers all

kev