climbing near powerlines

Ben Ballard

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think tidytrees is with us any longer. (And no, I dont mean he's electrocuted himself).

Maybe that's for the best(That he's no longer with us), I lost a colleague

many years ago doing utility work, he was electrocuted manouvering a cherry picker arm, got distracted chatting and swung the arm into the live lines.....

Tidytrees gung-ho attitude to electric lines is v dangerous, and as has previously been said it only takes a slip or momentary lapse in concentration. I've done the courses and sadly seen the photos, it's not pretty!!

2 guys were killed locally to me a few years back taking off new lamposts with a hiab, they caught the over head wires, i think there were 4 guys on site 2 guys were electrocuted and one of the other guys was the father of one of fatalities, terrible story. it is so easy to rush about and not look around properly, this is another reason i want a remote for my hiab. the controls are behind the crane, i am either standing on the road side or under the arm and sight is terrible tbh.

My mate was telling me the other day that his boss had a Norway maple reduction booked in near power lines. The lads turned up and some of the branches that had to be reduced werw over the lines. The branches were that long and close to the wires that he had to put a sling around them and take up the slack on a lowering rope to a figure of 8 so that the branch didn't drop and touch the wires when he got out to the end.

That really winds me up, I'm an employer and I'd NEVER expect my lads to put themselves in that position. The jobs dangerous enough without risks like that.

I told him he should have walked away and inserted a rocket up his bosses ar**

I've lost plenty of jobs ion the past due to other contractors not bothering about power line shutdowns etc. Bit of a bug bear of mine!!

Rant over.

• 1 month later...