climbing near powerlines

Ben Ballard

WPD have there own distances.they also do not want AA arborist staff to be employed anymore.even the area manager asked if the new contractors took em on.

its a shambles.

but as i have mentioned 1m of clearance is fine for climbing,do it seen others do it and bounce big bits off the lines live with no issues.its just a matter of how big.the whole lot is grown in and wpd have to cut it live.aa staff are bad and those that have been taken on will ff up again.The training nptc insist on does not match that of the utility with th utility not recgognising some nptc units as valid....

there will be more than one death.the poor groundie was took out by a cutter with no cut knowledge cos ther is not the requirement of working from a rope and harness to cut from a mewp....madness.....

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

been utility cutting 8 years and no trouble.its the kids taught to use mewp with no cut knowledge thats dangerouis.im not doing that job any more.politics and dangerous kids put pay to one guy recently all ready.im out....

ive cut lv touching the line and un woven brash and epicormic from between live conductors.its ok.its the job but no one admits it......

the newbie kids are so tied in college they are gunna ff up.HV line down.dead guy on tree down on live LV line.....it will get worse.im good but the distance you can get to a line is close to cut.im not stupid but the industry now has stupid kids working.there will be more death.

how they can say a grunt can cut from a mewp i dont know,they just slash cut stuff out....

And are those newbies or grunts going to get any better watching those sorts of antics:thumbdown:

We all learn from each other as we go along day to day in work, and we abide by the guidlines and best practice set we should see a work force that is safe and proud to be apart of.

15yrs on powerlines around the country and pretty close calls in that time, but you learn and develop from those close calls and let otheres know, thats not for the bravado factor but to ensure they dont get into the same predicerment.

if you have bounced live lines either hv or lv and you think it is ok because nothing happened you either have big balls or small mass of brain matter:confused1:

If I went back to when I first started in line clearance it was pretty scary stuff, its now moved to a point were it is reconised by most as askilled job along side any other tree work and not just a dope on a rope or muppet in a mewp.

Remove your blinkers my friend and help otheres and see the rewards in there skill develop in all parts of the industry, i like you couldnt be arsed at times with newbies or carreer changers but believe me theres nothing more fulfilling than helping somebody and watching there skill develop as they work along side you, end of the day that same person might just be the person god forbid who has perform an ariel rescue on you or sombody else.

just because you can doesnt make it right. you are now away from the original question, and having a rant about you experiences. cutter is looking for FACTS.

hi i was interested to know,for any jobs that come up in future that need any climbing done near the lines ,and it most likely that we would contract the big climbing jobs out near lines so i take who ever doing if would arrange that them self if they think power company needs to know,thancks again for the help:001_smile:

No its not :confused1::thumbdown::confused1:

there we go then.you know and i see.

so who is right?

the climber with no rope with his head next to 3 phase and street light useing a silky

or..

the guy ont the ground saying cant cut that its a shut down.

or...

the new college kid in the mewp slash cutting stuff out with no control killing the groundie...

:001_tt2:

if you have a bit too big to cut in one reach out and snip with top handle bouncing small bits off the lines as not to clash them .....

commom procedure....

Sounds like a crap common procedure to me:sneaky2:

I'm sure this is ment to be taken with a pinch of salt! I hope!

The clash of lines don't half make you take a grip on the power of the things & dammage that the unseen & unknowen can inflict:001_rolleyes:

Which ever one of those is bouncing stuff of lines is in the wrong, You cant say its common, You might do it BUT its bad practice and many many utility arbs DONT hit the lines and go out of there way to make sure they dont!!