Fagus with Ganoderma

John Hancock

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expected lifespan of an urban tree...est @ 30 yrs...fell and replant. Councils are too busy spending money on courses for mewps which no-one wants to have cash to invest on soil treatments and pruning that may provide some enlightening facts and advance our urban management strategies....

Poor tree. Damn cotton wool safety freak councils.

I think that’s a little strong! As a council, we are a land owner. Any land owner has a Duty of Care towards members of the public and its employees.

It is my job to run and maintain a defensible tree management system, and as such all my tree stock has to be inspected, defects identified and control measures put in place. If that tree blew over and injured or even killed someone the HSE would want to know why a tree with a recognised defect was allowed to stay in place.

I don’t want to stand up in court and be held accountable and I certainly don’t want a member of the public to be killed by one of my trees.

The tree had a defect, there were targets and a control measure was put in place. :icon14:

I agree in this case John....but where were your earmuffs and visor mate?

Like I said before...you have me there! Its a fair cop!

Don’t be too hard on local authorities. There are many responsibilities associated with land and tree stock ownership. Beech don’t take to crown thinning or reduction well, and as for soil treatment...How the hell is that going to increase the structural rigidity of the main stem when the lignin is almost totally degraded! My PI insurance is good, but not THAT good!

I have seen far worse Beech than that one still standing, and the crown looked in good shape, its been my experience that Beech take very well to good crown thinning or reduction.

You could of gotten a fair few years out of it, but its neither here nor there. It had a problem that would lead to its demise, and with safety first you felled it sooner rather than later.

I hope a good replacement or 3 (to make sure at least one decent tree will grow) is planted soon.

And where were your spikes :D