Fagus with Ganoderma

John Hancock

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

merely a question nothing personal..

Well it sounded like it to me.... But please tell me how soil treatment can (instantly) reduce the hazard rating of a Beech tree which is host to Ganoderma. I say instantly because the tree is in a park, with full public access and three footpaths within falling distance. I am intrigued, I honestly would like to know...

really, i like to keep my ear drums intact. isnt demantling a tree safer then felling it and then having to deal with lots of branches under tension?

I like the sound of falling trees as they fit the deck. The bigger the better, and more often than not its easier and safer to fell than climb. Thats up to your stringent council risk assessments though.

That tree was ripe for felling , I would not choose any other treatment . I would like to know if several good specimens have been planted as replacements.

We have been carrying out decompaction and myc treatments for several years and there is no way in which a soil treatment would help that tree...... Infact it would probably speed up the decline of it....

The only possible way of securing the future of that tree would be to qtra it to access the risks associated to the general public. If the risk factor was low enough you could argue the case to keep the tree...

It is important to remember that soil treaments are only a positive influence in certain curcumstances. (mulching a tree is often better and cheaper ).We have disposed of our myc rigs as they offer little benefit in this country, we also couldnt justify the costs compared to the benefits to our clients.

We now know that the best decompaction and treatments are from airspading and vertical mulching using locally sourced mulch....

hope that helps

chris

http://www.airspade.co.uk

We have disposed of our myc rigs as they offer little benefit in this country, we also couldnt justify the costs compared to the benefits to our clients.

We now know that the best decompaction and treatments are from airspading and vertical mulching using locally sourced mulch....

chris

http://www.airspade.co.uk

Its not the rig mate its the products you use in it! I agree air-spading/ vertical mulching and radial trenching is best, but folks with formal lawns etc etc simply don't want the mess and upheaval associated with Air-spades and mulch. Water soluble macro and micro nutrients definately have a place in PHC imo.

What make/type of myc rig were you using? if you don't mind me asking

Question why do you think deep root fertilising is deemed benefitial in the USA, Canada, Australia and Europe, but not the in UK?

For anyone interested I have a system and product/cocktail that would have worked very well on the Fagus, all be it a Beech in a similar condition, if anyone is interested I can be contacted via email. It wouldn't have saved the tree, but it would have slowed the biodegradation..

I will hold my hands-up and apologise to John, he has a job to do, and the general public to safe guard, I wouldn't want to be in his shoes ''if'' the tree injured someone. Unfortunatly for the tree, it was always in a vulnerable place..

Good to see another THC practitioner on here, welcome to arbtalk Chris..:icon14:

i know why you did'nt want to fell the tree, you just wanted to practice your lopping and topping:wave:

if you aren't having to chase the clock then why not dismantle! you obviously enjoy your job. i love the days when i can amble about and just enjoy the climbing without the usual presure:icon14: