Fence post auger

Justme

I have been wanting a powered fence post auger for a while. I did consider one of the cheap ebay petrol jobbies. In the end I bought a hydraulic motor & gearbox & an extra long auger that used to be for putting telegraph pole in. I had to cut the auger shorter by about 3 foot just to get it in the boot of the car. I then needed to get this made up

Auger1s.jpgAuger2s.jpg

The ring fits over the shaft of the auger so that the shaft ends half way through the 20mm thick plate. I could then weld up the inside & outside for extra strength. I also needed to remove some of the screw so that the bolts would fit. After that is was a simple job to bolt the two bits together, buy the hydraulic hoses & connectors & fit it all together.

Auger3s.jpgAuger4s.jpg

How come you went for a 2nd hand unit- was it alot cheaper than new, even after all the extra bits?

Bryce sumo, or king hitter, and put a point on the strainers, and drive em in.....

The only new one I have seen was £900 plus £300 for the auger plus vat (and its a toy compared to this one) I have seen 2nd hand ones go for £6-900 on the bay but this has cost me £400 for the motor & auger £40 for the plate & pins & £? for the pipes (prob about £40 when I get the bill) oh & petrol for collecting it (about £10) plus the welding gas, wire & red for the genny to run the welder. So thats about £500 plus half a day messing about.

Its first job is to drill support post holes for a cabin to sit on so pointed posts & hammering them in is out lol.

I had the plate made with a 92mm hole & the shaft is 90mm. The shaft goes half way through the plate so it could be welded up both sides. I then lined it up by eye & put one tack on it. Then use a square to ensure it was level, added a few more tacks to make sure it would not move when fully welded. Then ran 3 x 1" welds followed by fully welding the inside in 2 passes & then running a weld on the outside followed by welds between each bolt hole (so the bolt head would sit flat). As this spins slowly (guestimate of 60rpm or less) & you get plenty of slack in the pins & joints even if it was out of centre by quite a bit it would not really matter, but not being at 90deg would cause the tip to swing a lot.

Its a very solid bit of kit. It takes two to lift the motor & gearbox & I can just lift the shaft on its own.

The only new one I have seen was £900 plus £300 for the auger plus vat (and its a toy compared to this one) I have seen 2nd hand ones go for £6-900 on the bay but this has cost me £400 for the motor & auger £40 for the plate & pins & £? for the pipes (prob about £40 when I get the bill) oh & petrol for collecting it (about £10) plus the welding gas, wire & red for the genny to run the welder. So thats about £500 plus half a day messing about.

Its first job is to drill support post holes for a cabin to sit on so pointed posts & hammering them in is out lol.

Good choice on tha second hand machine then i reckon mate:thumbup1: