snow damage

hebie

hi to all new member but been hanging of ropes 27 years. just wanted to ask peoples general opinion. just started with a new firm and am reducing snapped out scots pines. for 27 years have always refused to do pine reductions, what would you do guys ?

cheers steve yeah some a tidy up but done two today leaving just two limbs on. felt like a cowboy, but this firm has been around since 1964 and a tree officer oked it. wish i could move on but got 5 kids to feed. respect mate

cheers steve yeah some a tidy up but done two today leaving just two limbs on. felt like a cowboy, but this firm has been around since 1964 and a tree officer oked it. wish i could move on but got 5 kids to feed. respect mate

I have found tree work is only good or bad depending on the reasons, 2 jobs may look the same but seen in totally different eyes by diferent people. A cowboy snapping fresh sycamore limbs and leaving tears everywhere and leaving the branches dumped behind the garage on lovely suburban estate should be hung by his spurs, BUT natural fracture pruning a large diseased beech beside a public footpath and creating a natural barrier from the brash, gets a standing ovation from the new pioneers of Arb.

To mother nature its the same thing.

Arb is all about human beings, not the trees i reckon:001_smile:

Hello there,

I'm practising target pruning on a friends oaks as a favour to both him and me.

It's something I need more experience of as all I seem to do is dismantle or fell.

The oaks are fairly close together, 18-20m high and form part of a mature hedge.

I've a problem with applying target pruning to very long skinny crowns and am finding that I've no choice but to reduce very heavily OR leave long skinny branches waving like I've forgotten them.

Smaller, more compact trees OR trees that have grown with a fuller crown are so much easier.

Any advice you chaps can give me?

Steve, is bad target pruning called 'Taggert' pruning in Scotland?

(Because it's MUrrRDER!):lol:

Hello there,

I'm practising target pruning on a friends oaks as a favour to both him and me.

It's something I need more experience of as all I seem to do is dismantle or fell.

The oaks are fairly close together, 18-20m high and form part of a mature hedge.

I've a problem with applying target pruning to very long skinny crowns and am finding that I've no choice but to reduce very heavily OR leave long skinny branches waving like I've forgotten them.

Smaller, more compact trees OR trees that have grown with a fuller crown are so much easier.

Any advice you chaps can give me?

Steve, is bad target pruning called 'Taggert' pruning in Scotland?

(Because it's MUrrRDER!):lol:

Is this 'tree management', in which case it may be questionable (albeit what else could you do?), OR is it (very tall) 'hedge management', in which case maybe you need to do a bit more?...dunno!

Not every job fits in the classic BS3998 'et al' camp and, appropriate and suitable, adaptation/modification is part of the professionals role to interpret and apply standards as best possible.

IMO the (most important) thing is to educate the client of the consequences/outcomes of the work proposed, then they can make an informed decision over whether to proceed or not, OR to consider the aletrantives you have proposed, again part of the professionals role.

Oh yeah, n just to cover your posterior, and in partic if agianst BS3998 'et al'/industry good practice, I'd put it in writing too!

(Got a 'lone' builder in at the momenty, eck of a good chap but recently got 'stung' for a job he did where the clinet wanted to cut corners to save money and altho this chap 'told' him what the future problems would be he didn't put it in writing and hence has just had his summer holdiay in Barbados cut short!)

Sorry if 'off track/thread'...again!

Paul