help please!!!!!!

skyhuck

I have been asked to give a talk about my work and trees in general.

It was originally just for my daughters class (6-7 year olds), but now the school have asked if I will do it in the school hall so others classes can attend.

I have a rough idea of the sort of thing I'm going to say, but it would be great if any of you could give me a few thoughts on the sorts of things (related to our work or just tree related) that would be of interest to children between 6 and 11 years.

Thanks guys, all input very much appreciated:thumbup:

PS the talk is tomorrow AM so please hurry!!!!!!!!

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just slag off every other company in your area for half an hour!!

I think the age of trees and the height will be of some interest?? Maybe you could do something to teach them that cuttign down trees in our line of work is not the same as cuttign down rainforests, there seems to be some confusion on that point from children.

Just slag off every other company in your area for half an hour!!

I think the age of trees and the height will be of some interest?? Maybe you could do something to teach them that cuttign down trees in our line of work is not the same as cuttign down rainforests, there seems to be some confusion on that point from children.

I think Rupes got a very good point there, and I would also mention that when we plant trees that they should be valued and loved rather than vandalised, make them appreciate the trees rather than burn them and snap them!:thumbup:

Faced with a hall full of 6-7 year olds mate that sounds fun, i would think mention the machinery for the wee boys they love trucks at that age.

And mention how you dont hurt any small animals or birds and that will please the girls.

And the environmental aspect of your work (recycle all waste) as the schools and kids in general have a better grasp of the environment now than when i was a kid.

Good luck with it very commendable :thumbup1:

i have had to do this a few times dave, but i made them come outside and plant a tree or bulbs or build a log pile, you have the luxury of owning a mog mate, turn up in that before the kids get there and have it parked right in the playground or where they can all see, even take some brash and cones, do a wee RA for the head teacher and chip some branches. the kids love all that stuff, you will get some hecklers, you know the hippy kids saying killing trees are bad and the ozone is dying blah blah blah, yes even we kids will give you some abuse, but the teachers will think you are hot mate ha ha. take some stuff to pass around, a few carabiners, maybe a prussik, take your harness aswell, maybe get the janitor to rig up a table and you could stick a saw on it. personally i found it terrifying and my kids werent there either. lol good luck, you will do great mate

This is great lads!!!

Please keep it coming, I was going to take in my harness and rope, but not a saw, now after Andy's suggestion I'll take my 020 and 880 to show the difference in size.

The rain forest and conservations stuff is a good idea, I'll mention my bat inspecting work.