Would you climb these???

Frank

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ha ha tony, its hard to say with out being there, bit i dont like the horizontal crack, and i have kids and a mortgage to pay, and the wife doesnt want to be a widow. whats worth more, you or a lawn and a couple of connies? do you have room to winch them back frank, i did a couple similar last year, i will see if i have the vids somewhere, but it hink they are on another puter.

Yeah, sorry mate, I wasnt asking for opinions as to wether I should climb them or not, I was merely interested in others thoughts on structural integrity etc etc.

They will be getting felled from the deck towards the lawn.

I wouldnt encourage climbing trees on a photo assesment, just is NOT H&S!

Good job, any shrubs of value in the way? :blushing:

Not sure about structural integrity of fire damaged trees, but all I do know is that if you are cutting trees which have been reasonably recently scorched or partially burnt, they blunt your chain very quickly!

Not sure why or how, might possibly be to do with the carbon from charcoal type deposits caused by fire???

They don't look too bad, but deffinatley would fell rather than climb unless absolutley necessary.

I'd think a big hinge is in order and a good winch :001_smile:

In short, if it was my job you would be climbing them:thumbup:

and you would be responsible for him having given the order!:thumbup:

Ok then, if you want to go on the serious side, me, being one of slightly large build, would probably climb it myself. Yet again i would not ask anyone to do a job i felt i wouldnt do myself!

However i do believe Mesterh has it covered;

If the weather was good then yes.

Even if it required rigging as long as it wasnt big snatches etc. You can rig a minuscule branch if required.

Although I have only seen the base there and didnt see the canopy or the targets.

Going by the pics Frank, i would say there is reasonable live wood around the damaged area to hold a careful(no shock loading) climber.

As for the horizontal crack, i personally would ignore that and treat the tree as if it were hollow, after all, you have already accepted it as damaged. Just judge the tree by the amount of live wood remaining, i think you would feel there is still enough to bear a climber.

Going by the pics Frank, i would say there is reasonable live wood around the damaged area to hold a careful(no shock loading) climber.

As for the horizontal crack, i personally would ignore that and treat the tree as if it were hollow, after all, you have already accepted it as damaged. Just judge the tree by the amount of live wood remaining, i think you would feel there is still enough to bear a climber.

I agree, more than enough.

If there is a suitable tree close by you could install a heavey pulley and with a high tie off point (well above balance point) lower them down and section it in reverse order?:thumbup1: